Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher SynScan WiFi Adapter

Does anyone have one of these, if so, what sort of range does it have

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/sky-watcher-synscan-wifi-adapter.html

Wanting to set-up a remote option

Also, Flo has the usb adapter, could this be used with a powered usb extender cable

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/sky-watcher-synscan-usb-adapter.html

Thanks

Frank

Hi Frank, I have the synscan wifi adapter, and to be honest I have never tested the maximum range but my iPad battery nearly went flat one evening so I popped into the house to put it on charge, then re-connected, with the ipad showing full wifi signal strength which would be approx fifteen to twenty feet away and it worked perfectly. I would think the range should be longer than this providing no obstructions in the line of sight. 
Hope this helps.

Dean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeanCJ said:

I have the synscan wifi adapter.

How does it work (play) with just an iPad? Can you setup/align and then use an app e.g. Sky Safari to control scope? Or use HC and one App like Safari, all without a 2nd device?

Edited by SimM

I too have the WiFi dongle.  Again I've never actually tested the range, but if the info. is any use to anyone I use it with the bone-fide SW app on my Samsung android mobile and I think for purely driving the scope it's a great addition and far more convenient than the original hand-held controller.  The only thing I have to ensure is that the phone is well charged before starting.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SimM said:

How does it work (play) with just an iPad? Can you setup/align and then use an app e.g. Sky Safari to control scope? Or use HC and one App like Safari, all without a 2nd device?

I have to use both my iPad and my iPhone, I have the synscan app on my iPhone and SkySafari on my iPad, first I pair the iPhone and use the synscan app to do a two star alignment, once aligned I then pair the iPad. In SkySafari you use the IP address and port number from your iPhone. If you have SkySafari pro or plus then you can connect your mount to the app. I leave my iPhone screen lock switched off and leave it paired in the background. I think, if you use an Android  device you only need one device to run both apps, I don’t think you can mix and match Apple and Android . Hope this helps.

20 hours ago, DeanCJ said:

Hi Frank, I have the synscan wifi adapter, and to be honest I have never tested the maximum range but my iPad battery nearly went flat one evening so I popped into the house to put it on charge, then re-connected, with the ipad showing full wifi signal strength which would be approx fifteen to twenty feet away and it worked perfectly. I would think the range should be longer than this providing no obstructions in the line of sight. 
Hope this helps.

Dean.

Cheers Dean, will have to check it out,  have had the ipad outside with no problems, and thats with a wall between that and the router

The dongle sets up its own Wi-fi so you don’t use a router. As Dean says for IOS two devices are required if you want to use Sky Safari too. I have done that but the Synscan App is comprehensive so I don’t need SkySafari too. Regarding range I can wander around the  6 acre field up at the Obsy and it stays connected to my phone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

The dongle sets up its own Wi-fi so you don’t use a router. As Dean says for IOS two devices are required if you want to use Sky Safari too. I have done that but the Synscan App is comprehensive so I don’t need SkySafari too. Regarding range I can wander around the  6 acre field up at the Obsy and it stays connected to my phone.

I know it doesnt use the home router, but it helps that the ipad works with the wall.  Already have the iphone & ipad  set up ready and waiting. Setting up a remote system for use from indoors, avoiding having to run cables

I get the impression that Sky Safari with a Celestron WiFi dongle works “better” than the SkyWatcher equivalent. My understanding is that a mount and Hand Controller separate the operation into driving motors (mount electronics) which receives “guidance” from the “intelligence” (Hand Controller). So the App replacing the HC is a critical part and if the phone running this App is closed, goes out of range or goes to sleep on an IOS device the alignment isn’t retained. These “issues” determine that IOS users can’t use the ScanApp first and later switch to Sky Safari App on the same device e.g. iPad. The explanation may be that IOS is not multitasking like Linux or Android. This is overcome by using an Android device with Sky Safari because it runs the second App. With Celestron, there is better integration because the SynApp isn’t needed.  There doesn’t seem much incentive for this to change e.g. Celestron and tie up with Sky Portal.

I have the new built-in WiFi on my SkyWatcher 10" Dobsonian.  It acts much the same as a cell phone hotspot and creates a class D network starting at 192.168.4.1 (ending at 192.168.4.255), though that can be changed.  The =reliable= range is about 100', however metal surroundings and motors (such as A/C compressors) can reduce the range if inline between the scope and connected device.  You will see it appear on a WiFi listing when it is powered-up as SynScan, but that too may be changed.

It is important to know that the SynScan built-in WiFi server turns itself OFF after 15 minutes if there is no traffic on the connection.  The SynScan Android app sends a periodic "keep-alive" blip every minute or so.  If you want to connect to it with an INDI driver, you will need to either keep a tablet/cell phone connected via the app or create some sort of keep-alive signal to keep the network from doing a disappearing act during extended periods of inactivity.

Edited by JonCarleton