Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lovely old Cooke 6" &5.5" refractors

F15Rules

We were up at York University today for the graduation of my youngest daughter in her Master's๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž..

The gathering venue before the ceremony was the main Physics building, and while we were waiting for her to get "Gowned and Mortar Boarded" up, I had a little wander and noticed a couple of very nice old brass refractors both mounted side by side on a very substantial looking solid iron pillar type equatorial/altaz mount.

I asked if I could pop into the room they were in to take a couple of pictures, and this was readily agreed.

I also snapped a short info piece which I attach below and which gives a little more info on these fine old scopes dating from 1859 (just expand the pic to read the details).

Thought fellow refractors fans might like to see them too๐Ÿ˜Š..

Dave

IMG_20200124_090546081_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20200124_090514375_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20200124_090504920_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20200124_090444702_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20200124_090453637_PORTRAIT.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 10

Thanks Steve, we had a wonderful day and the weather was kind to us as well.

Yes, that mount is a beast. I'd have liked more time to look at it. These were clearly University class instruments, I can only guess what they must have cost when new! I don't know the focal lengths, but I'd guess between F12ย  and F14 or so..as such they should be pretty well corrected..

Dave

ย 

24 minutes ago, John said:

Superb - thanks for snapping and posting the photos :smiley:

They remind me of some of the refractors that are at the Norman Lockyer Observatory at Sidmouth.

ย 

Thanks John, just got to love those old long fracs! Would be great to put one up against a modern scope, just to see...๐Ÿ˜Š

Dave

57 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Many congratulations to both yourself and your daughter Dave, you must feel rightly proud.ย  Good to see the pictures too, just a shame they areย  being kept in a museum and not put to good use on the night sky.

Many thanks Paul. Yes, my wife and I are very proud of both our daughters who got Firsts in their degrees, and our youngest who got a Distinction in her Master's on Friday. And of our son, who like me, hated academia and never went to Uni, but rather went into grocery retail and is now a deputy manager of a large superstore turning over ยฃ50m a year.. Horses for Courses, as they say๐Ÿ˜Š.

It is a shame these scopes aren't currently in use, but they did get quite a bit of attention so perhaps being on display to thousands of students has a value in itself?

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1