NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

C2017 T2 PANSTARRS..even closer to the Double Cluster

SGL comet.jpg

Very much a rush to capture the event.  This is from Wednesday night about 8:00pm

The Weather forecast predicted cloud for the next 6 days.   There was an interval of about an hour of semi clear skies.... so action stations.

I used my guide scope to take the picture  (Bresser 102mm F 4.6 refractor)   as I had the Edge SCT on the other side of the dual rig.  I used an OSC  (QHY8pro ) as it gave me a wide field and  there was just not the time for filters.     What to do ???.... a long exposure to pick up the faint tail but possibly smudge the comet due to its motion...OR... take 'sharper' shorter exposures but run the risk of not getting the comet at all.... hmmmm

It's actually quite a tough combination to get right.     Good luck if you are trying to capture it.... I think you may have a few more nights left to have a go.

Sean.

Edited by Craney
  • Like 7

I’ll have to setup my 15x70 Celestron binocs on a tripod and see if i can spot it . If i can then it’s easy in a scope . I’ve done it in the past and it’s pretty neat to see one . I haven't done Observing jn so long so guess I’ll need to try this weekend . 

8 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

bit of a non event. 

Yes, I was expecting the tail to drag across the two clusters like the Veil Nebula.....  alas..... it took about  five subs to locate it and then frame it..

It would be nice to get some colour out of it, that ghostly green carbide , but the cluster itself will begin to dominate any longer exposures or large aperture shots.

Its rather insignificant with a scope - I managed to find it with my 130mm refractor a couple of nights back - a small fuzzy patch of light.

Nice image though @Craney :thumbright:

I love observing the double cluster - its a great outreach target too.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Craney said:

Very much a rush to capture the event.  This is from Wednesday night about 8:00pm

The Weather forecast predicted cloud for the next 6 days.   There was an interval of about an hour of semi clear skies.... so action stations.

I used my guide scope to take the picture  (Bresser 102mm F 4.6 refractor)   as I had the Edge SCT on the other side of the dual rig.  I used an OSC  (QHY8pro ) as it gave me a wide field and  there was just not the time for filters.     What to do ???.... a long exposure to pick up the faint tail but possibly smudge the comet due to its motion...OR... take 'sharper' shorter exposures but run the risk of not getting the comet at all.... hmmmm

It's actually quite a tough combination to get right.     Good luck if you are trying to capture it.... I think you may have a few more nights left to have a go.

Nice capture in the cloud gap.  I was really hoping to capture this event as I really enjoy the double cluster (both visually and a few goes imaging) but sadly cloud looks like the dominant factor.

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1