NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Software from ZWO, ASI Studio

Danjc

Spotted this on there Facebook page and my be of interest to some.  I’m not sure what it’s like as I’m on my phone atm but the post says....

Hello everyone, today we have released this new software #ASIStudio.

ASIStudio is actually a collection of many kinds of astronomy software. We aim at making ASIStudio all in one platform for astronomical image capture and processing. 

Currently, ASIStudio contains only three software, which are ASICap---planetary imaging, ASILive---living stacking, ASIImg---DSO imaging.

We know that this is just a trial protype, more useful tools and practical tutorials will be added to ASIStudio in the future. If possible, we will add the Authorized Third-Party software into ASIStudio. We sincerely hope that our ASIStudio includes all the functions you need. For astronomical image capture and image processing, just one ASIStudio can get them done.

Being the first version of ASIStudio, many improvements on functions will be required. This is our new beginning and your supports will be welcomed. We would much appreciate your use of ASIStudio and precious advices. You may download ASIStudio from below address.

Windows 32bit:
https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/software/ASIStudio_V1.0_x86_Setup.exe
Windows 64bit:
https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/software/ASIStudio_V1.0_x64_Setup.exe
Linux(Ubuntu16.04 64bit or Later)
https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/software/ASIStudio_V1.0.run
Mac OS:
https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/software/ASIStudio_V1.0.dmg

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/software/ASIStudio_V1.0_x86_Setup.exe

Edited by Danjc

Yes, I've downloaded it on Windows 64 bit and due bad weather just played with it during daytime and last night around 11pm pointing out the window down the street (due 100% cloud cover). Tonight is forecast to be clear'ish with around 30-60% cloud between 6pm and 9pm and socked in after that. Hopefully I can use the ASILive component to do live stacks of short exposure and see for myself. CN forum has a thread where several folk have tried the same component (ASILive) and found the controls very simple yet the final stacked result very similar to SharpCap's stacked result. They posted images comparing both. I've also watched a few live NSN "astro at-the-scope-using-it broadcasts" and it looks very simple to operate. So it bodes well ... but the proofs in the pudding, so hopefully will try it out tonight. Will post up my results. I love HD desktop video captures so will try to get a few to post links to. 

A PRO feature is that it is has versions for Linux Ubuntu, Mac OSX and Windoze (32 and 64 bit versions). It's the Mac part which is interesting for me! All my astro so far I've done on a bootcamped Macbook Pro - due to the software I've needed being Windows only. I hope today to download the Mac version in readiness for tonight. The big issue for many will be it only works with ZWO cameras, ZWO e focusers, ZWO e filter wheels, ZWO guiders. 

Anyhoo, hopefully will test tonight.

[edit] .... BTW I downloaded it from the official ZWO website under their Support ---- Software webpage.  ZWO website is astronomy-imaging-camera.com 

Cheers

Edited by Howie_Oz
Add the [edit] comment
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Howie_Oz said:

The big issue for many will be it only works with ZWO cameras, ZWO e focusers, ZWO e filter wheels, ZWO guiders.

This is starting to put me off ZWO as a brand if I'm honest. It's not in the spirit of the hobby. Imagine if Skywatcher designed a new mounting system where only their scopes fitted their mounts?

4 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

This is starting to put me off ZWO as a brand if I'm honest. It's not in the spirit of the hobby. Imagine if Skywatcher designed a new mounting system where only their scopes fitted their mounts?

I think the bottom line is that the manufacturer needs to see a return on investment somewhere and has to set limits on what they can do from the point of view of support.  That probably means that either it is free and only supports their own products, or it supports other hardware and it has to be paid for.  Fortunately it's not the only software out there...

James

6 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Er ? I don't understand your argument. Why would ZWO or any other camera manufacturer, astro or otherwise, design a piece of software that was compatible with a competitors camera. Canon software isn't compatible with Nikon etc and visa versa.  That's why we have third party software developers. Skywatcher, Meade, Celestron etc all make a standard mounting system based upon the vixen dovetail. 

Why develop a software like that in the first place when, as pointed out, there are various tried and tested 3rd party apps that are free and work with a broad range of devices? Maybe just the cynic in me, but it looks like they are heading in a direction where eventually the hardware will only work with their own software..

Maybe their time would be better spent actually sorting out an auto focus routine for their auto focuser? It's only been out, what, a year? But as I said, maybe just the cynic in me...

Edited by david_taurus83