Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Eclipses, doable.

Nigella Bryant

Having nothing much to do this boxing day and looking at a new years resolution,  in the next decade I've decided I'd like to see as many solar eclipses as I can given financial do ability so not to far to travel. I've come up with this list. BTW I'll be in my 60th decade too, lol. The only two real long distance one's would be USA but most landing in the area of a normal holiday for me.

2021 June 10th Partial from the UK 25% from Devon.

2022 October 25th Partial from the UK 20% from Devon.

2023 October 14th Annular Western United States.

2024 April 8th  Total United States.

2025 March 29th Partial from the UK 45% from Devon

2026 August 12th Total  Europe 

2027 August 2nd Total Europe 

2028 January 26th Annular Medeira 

2030 June 1st Annular Turkey, Greece or Tunisia

(Added 2034 March 20th Total Egypt, I'll be 76 by then but also doable).

In total 4 Total, 3 Annular and 3 Partial. 

Happy New Year and new decade. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Added 2034 eclipse
  • Like 1

I have my friends laughing with me putting in for vacation time in 2024. For the GAE I started planning 18 months ahead. It is one of the best days in my life, having SWMBO, my youngest daughter and grandson with me to see totality. 

I would like to see an annular but it will depend on the budget, so I'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

A total eclipse is top of my list. There's one visible from Southern Spain on 12th Aug 2026. Hopefully, I'll make that one. At least in spain, in August, there shouldn't be clouds. It also wouldn't be financially draining, and you can make a 2 week summer holiday out of it.

I could even do the 2024 in USA. My sis lives there and would be good excuse to visit. She's in Reno (Nevada).

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 2

I was one day driving away from the path of totality with our last one, so it was really low budget. 

We went a day early and lucked out getting one of the last 2 rooms a motel had.

Going back home was much different.

My biggest mistake was I didnt consider how TERRIBLE the traffic would be with a third of the Eastern population descending on South Carolina!!

It's still too far out for 2024 to start to plan an actual location, but most likely it will be the Texas area.

Edited by maw lod qan

6 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Going back home was much different.

My biggest mistake was I didnt consider how TERRIBLE the traffic would be with a third of the Eastern population descending on South Carolina!!

Ditto - biggest mistake we made was not booking room for two nights and staying in Charleston.  The 450 mile drive up the day before was excellent, we stopped at Daytona beach, and had a great drive.  I booked a room 6 months in advance in Charleston, and availability wasnt an issue so I could easily have done two nights.  Like you I discovered too late that 1000s of us would be leaving around 3:30pm.  BIG BIG queues.