Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Jarvo

Observatory has developed a leak

Alas my poor little observatory has developed a leak after four years of solid service. 

Ive got a couple of buckets picking up the drips. It annoyingly I can’t easily track the source. 

Its not too bad at the moment so hopefully I can limp on until the spring when I can redo the roof with some Bitumen and fresh felt. 

Or we get a new observatory😈

Jarvo

10 minutes ago, Jarvo said:

Alas my poor little observatory has developed a leak after four years of solid service. 

Ive got a couple of buckets picking up the drips. It annoyingly I can’t easily track the source. 

Its not too bad at the moment so hopefully I can limp on until the spring when I can redo the roof with some Bitumen and fresh felt. 

Or we get a new observatory😈

Jarvo

As often as I can, I use a failure as a good reason not to throw good money after bad and go for an upgrade..

1 vote for a new observatory, but good luck getting it through the finance director.

Or throw a 20 pound tarpaulin over the roof until spring

Good luck,

Gordon.

• Like 1

My observatory is over 21 years old and still going strong😀

This summer though I upgraded the roofing with these corrugated bitumen sheets. Although they are heavier than regular felt I'm very pleased so far.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Onduline-3mm-Green-Corrugated-Bitumen-Sheet-950-x-2000mm/p/240059

PS I'm based in rainy Lancashire🌧️

Thanks Guys 3 excellent solutions. Food for thought. 

Fireball xl5. I don’t believe for a moment that it rains in Lancashire 😄

I found a damp patch on the floor of my scope room when I went out to open up this afternoon - no sign of anywhere there was wet coming in though.

47 minutes ago, Gina said:

I found a damp patch on the floor of my scope room when I went out to open up this afternoon - no sign of anywhere there was wet coming in though.

Damp coming up.....or wet coming down ?

Since it's on top of a rubber mat I assume it must be wet coming down.

Could be but the roof was dry.  Anyway, not enough to worry about.  Considering the horizontal heavy rain lately it's surprising the inside is so dry!