NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Full moon (well very nearly !)

Trevor N

Trevor, this is one of the best full moon Images I have ever seen. It is superb mate. Get it off for publishing, and send a copy to Sir P.M.He will love this.

Excellent.

Ron. :thumbright: :salute:

This is the largest moon ever isn't it. Something in the order of 14% larger or something. Clouded over here last night, so no chance.

Lovely image! What's the dark feature about an inch - inch and a half down from 12 o'clock? It looks a bit like a black squiggle - just wondering what it is. I 'm guessing it might be some sort of shadow detail, possibly from a canyon or something similar.

Thanks for the comments . I admire the guys that get stunning close ups. That's always failed with me. The feature seems to be on the shore of the sea of tranquillity. The atlas I have shows a few mountains but not much else. It does appear the same on a dslr image I took on the same night so guess it's just a darker area. I don't suppose there is much shadow detail at this phase, Perhaps others can help, Trevor

Excellent shot Trevor and thxs for sharing that image is a great inspiration to a fellow 100ed owner and is now my benchmark :D

Could you let me know more about the caputuring settings please?

I am new to astrophotography so I want to learn from the people who post great shots.

I use a 100ED plus vesta web cam set at 5fps, 1/25, gain lowest, brightness set to lowest and contrast default.(For full moon imageing)

I have attached a picture I took a few days ago for you to give me advice on if you don't mind.

This is my second attempt at the Moon since acquiring my setup but it's still not correct. How do I get rid of the white glare? Is it slightly out of focus?

Any other tips would be great.

I know trial and error is the way to go (which I love doing B.T.W) but with the actual viewing nights very limited I want to try and cut out basic mistakes as early as possible before I waste too many nights.

Kind regards,

Paul

post-15257-133877351271_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul

That's a pretty decent early attempt so don't be disheartened.

Firstly, 5 FPS is too slow except under exceptionally good seeing conditions. 10FPS gives the best compromise between compression and speed. As soon as you go to 15FPs or above compression leaps enormously, so I always stick at 10fps.

Try brightness to 50% and gamma to zero and saturation to 100%. Alter the brighness of your image primarily by altering the nominal exposure length (1/n sec) then fine tune it by altering the gain. Always aim to slighly underexpose, try to never overexpose any part of the capture.

Focus looks as though it is probably pretty good, but I suspect has been spoiled due to setting the frame rate too low.

Have you read Martin Mobberley's excellent book on webcam imaging - it's worth getting.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived