Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An Antipodean Sky

Had a trip to OZ back in Oct, and finally got round to processing this panorama

quoba-3.thumb.jpg.c4944ab46f35df1e27a53bc6dd531887.jpg

It was taken at point Quobba on the West coast. You know it's dark when the Zodiacal light counts as light pollution.

Huw

• Like 18

45 minutes ago, markse68 said:

Lovely image. What are the names of the 2 on the left?

Cracking image......that would be the large and small magellanic clouds,small satellite galaxys of our own Milkyway.....would love to see them.

Edited by paul mc c
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I imagine that to the unaided eye the Magellanic Clouds are just like faint islands of Milky Way?

Their surface brightness in this fabulous image appears fainter than the Milky Way.

Yes, they are visible in dark locations, but only really come alive with averted vision.

Huw

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy R said:

One thing I’ll never forget seeing is the Aussie night sky for the first time, second time, third time...........etc.

Yes indeed, this was our third trip. In the outback the night sky is well worth seeing, especially in their Autumn, trouble is the Aussies love their LED lighting and generators even in the remotest camping grounds.

blowholes.thumb.jpg.625816ded4c5fe685adaef9315fccfe3.jpg

There was no such light pollution here, but what I was fighting was salt spray filling the air from the Indian Ocean swells breaking on the rocky shore, these are the famous Quobba blowholes.

Looking down the line of the shore in daylight the spray was visible everywhere as a mist, and probably reduced the contrast considerably for my Milky Way image.

Huw

• Like 1

Did you stop at Shark Bay? Some of the best snorkelling I’ve experienced and arguably a better reef then the Great Barrier.

The Milky Way is by far my favourite subject in the sky, so thank you for sharing this wonderful image. 

Ben 

7 minutes ago, Benjam said:

Did you stop at Shark Bay? Some of the best snorkelling I’ve experienced and arguably a better reef then the Great Barrier.

The Milky Way is by far my favourite subject in the sky, so thank you for sharing this wonderful image. 

Ben 

Yes we did, spent two nights at at Denham, and two at Monkey Mia, we're both non swimmers, so topside only for us.

Huw

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2019 at 11:38, Horwig said:

Had a trip to OZ back in Oct, and finally got round to processing this panorama

quoba-3.thumb.jpg.c4944ab46f35df1e27a53bc6dd531887.jpg

It was taken at point Quobba on the West coast. You know it's dark when the Zodiacal light counts as light pollution.

Huw

What an incredible image 

• Thanks 1