Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Windows WIFI hotspot

david_taurus83

Like you can create a WIFI hotspot on a RPi, and connect to it via VNC Viewer etc., is this possible on a Windows PC? I've bought a cheap mini PC off Amazon with Windows 10 pro. Not sure how well it will work but the idea is to have APT installed to control my Canon and focuser, Sharpcap for polar aligning and PHD2 for guiding.

My current workaround thinking is to create a VNC Server on the PC and connect to it via my home network. If in the field I could create a hotspot on my phone and then use this to connect to the PC. This is fine as long as both instances have an internet connection. If I ever found myself at a dark site, an internet connection might not be reliable.

Is there a way to connect directly to a Windows PC via it's own WIFI signal and control the desktop remotely without an internet connection?

no local vnc(i.e. not cloud based)  or rdp needs the internet they just need to be on the same network (e.g. 192.168.1.x ) or know which gateway to go via. Microsoft can create its own HOTSPOT but cant remember if it required 2 network connections - very long time since I have used Hotspot on M/S.  If your Phone can create a valid hotspot without the Internet and ,for easiness, create DHCP server etc then that should work. Its all about the networking settings !!!! 

Edited by stash_old

as long as the device has the compatible wireless hardware

Open Settings. Press the Start. settings...
Click or tap the. Network & Internet section.
Select Mobile hotspot from the left pane.
Choose your settings. Select which connection you want to share under "Share my Internet connection from". ...
Toggle on. the slider next to "Share my Internet connection with other devices".

3 hours ago, CedricTheBrave said:

as long as the device has the compatible wireless hardware

Open Settings. Press the Start. settings...
Click or tap the. Network & Internet section.
Select Mobile hotspot from the left pane.
Choose your settings. Select which connection you want to share under "Share my Internet connection from". ...
Toggle on. the slider next to "Share my Internet connection with other devices".

Yes, W10 allows that, as long as you have an internet connection. If theres no internet, the option is greyed out. I'm wondering if it can be done directly over the Wifi signal. Dont want internet, just want to control a pc over its own wifi signal via another device.

@stash_old Is there a button I can press lol

2 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Yes, W10 allows that, as long as you have an internet connection. If theres no internet, the option is greyed out. I'm wondering if it can be done directly over the Wifi signal. Dont want internet, just want to control a pc over its own wifi signal via another device.

@stash_old Is there a button I can press lol

yeah looks that way, even if you connect another wireless dongle it only allows you to share your internet!

think you will need to add a wireless access point

23 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

I've bought a cheap mini PC

what wireless adapter does it have or do you use a USB wifi dongle with it if so what make?, Just that on my laptop with intel wifi i can create a hotspot on it or connect to my local wifi network

16 hours ago, fozzybear said:

what wireless adapter does it have or do you use a USB wifi dongle with it if so what make?, Just that on my laptop with intel wifi i can create a hotspot on it or connect to my local wifi network

No idea! Tbh, I've settled on using VNC Server on the PC and VNC Viewer on my phone to manage. Works fine. I doubt I'll ever find myself in the deepest darkest depths of Mordor where I cant find a phone signal.

4 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

No idea! Tbh, I've settled on using VNC Server on the PC and VNC Viewer on my phone to manage. Works fine. I doubt I'll ever find myself in the deepest darkest depths of Mordor where I cant find a phone signal.

Obviously never been to Lincolnshire Wolds LOL

20 hours ago, fozzybear said:

Depends on the Wifi chip - some dont support HOT/MOBILE/AD-HOC networks 🙂