NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Apo recommendation in 250-350mm FL range

Looking for some recommendations for a compact apo in the 250-350mm focal range. 

I had been intending to get a WO RedCat but there seems to be mixed reviews. Similarly the 71mm quad APO (WO/ Meade/ TS) seem to get very little or mixed reviews. I would prefer to not have to deal with focal reducers/ flatteners but will for the right scope of course. 

Plan is to mount it on an AZ GTi and image with an ASI1600mm. 

Any first hand experience with any of the above or anything you can recommend would be appreciated!

Edit: No set budget but the 71mm quad at ~£1200 is probably my top end

Edited by Icesheet
Edit title

54 minutes ago, Icesheet said:

Looking for some recommendations for a compact apo in the 250-350mm focal range. 

I had been intending to get a WO RedCat but there seems to be mixed reviews. Similarly the 71mm quad APO (WO/ Meade/ TS) seem to get very little or mixed reviews. I would prefer to not have to deal with focal reducers/ flatteners but will for the right scope of course. 

Plan is to mount it on an AZ GTi and image with an ASI1600mm. 

Any first hand experience with any of the above or anything you can recommend would be appreciated!

Edit: No set budget but the 71mm quad at ~£1200 is probably my top end

WO GT71 or a Star71. 

• Like 1

WO Redcats seem fine now after some initial QC probably caused by rushing them to market, my initial one was returned but now works really well, the only quibble I have is with the focuser that gets very stiff as it approaches infinity making focusing difficult.

Star Adventurer copes with it so AZ Gti should have no trouble.

Dave

8 minutes ago, Ruud said:

7 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Don't think they make Star 71s anymore, probably more QC issues, there was one on ABS recently.

Probably a good thing to buy used if you can see images taken with it.

Dave

Thanks all. Yes, I have seen it and I believe it’s the same one. I need to wait until I’m paid so if it’s still available then I’ll have a closer look.  

Do you think the AZ GTi would be able to guide that sort of FL? 

The main reason for 250-350 range was because it gave me something between 135 and 550 which is the FL’s of my other equipment. Wouldn’t rule it out though.

Edited by Icesheet