NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Soul Nebula - IC1848

Skipper Billy

The Soul Nebula - IC1848 - imaged on 30th October 2019. Tak 106, Atik 16200, Baader narrowband filters, Mesu 200 mount. Guided with SWED72 and ZWO290 mono. Fully calibrated with darks, flats and bias. 2 hours each of Ha, Sii and Oiii. Processed entirely in Pixinsight.

Constructive criticism most welcome.

Full res here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/113316085@N05/48992168697/in/album-72157675109735132/

hubblefinalimage.jpg

• Like 20

14 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Thanks Carole - just learning how to process the data from my new camera - its very different to my Atik 460! Much lighter touch required and I have never been noted for light touch elegance - more cack handed in yer face!

It's interesting that you make that comment.  I've just started using the Moravian 16200, and the data seems quite different to my old STL6303.  Much less processing seems to be required.  The images are cleaner, but also seem to be less contrasty.  I haven't quite got my head around it yet, but I am liking the results so far.

51 minutes ago, don4l said:

It's interesting that you make that comment.  I've just started using the Moravian 16200, and the data seems quite different to my old STL6303.  Much less processing seems to be required.  The images are cleaner, but also seem to be less contrasty.  I haven't quite got my head around it yet, but I am liking the results so far.

Your findings are very similar to mine.I have been using the same Pixinsight workflow with the images from my 16200 that I used for my Atik 460 and the results looking back at the four images I had taken with the new camera are, looking objectively and in the cold light of day, quite frankly horribly ham fisted and more of a smack in the face than an elegant massaging of the senses!

The above image was done in a massive hurry - less than 40 mins - the data was gathered last night and we have the family arriving from Sweden tomorrow along with a new grandchild so 'Mission Control' aka dining table had to be dismantled and there are no clear nights forecast for the next week. So I hurriedly processed the data to see if it was any good.

All I did was Batch PreProcess, Histogram stretch, Auto Background Extraction,  RGB combination, the gentlest of TGV Noise reduction and Unsharp Mask, SCNR to reduce the green cast and a gentle nudge to the contrast in Curves.  Nothing fancy or clever. To my eyes its a much better result and for just 6 hours I am quite satisfied. I intend to go back to the data for the 4 previous images to see where I went 'wrong'.