Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The California Nebula (well, part of it)

Starwiz

3 hours ago, alan potts said:

Very nice image, I tried this last year and like you only got part of it, well i think I did, comes out rather more red with DSLR.

Alan

Thanks.  I was a little undecided on whether to go with the red look as I got nothing in OIII.  In the end I had another play with the data and settled on Hubble Pallet, using the OIII stack that I had, which actually contained nothing. 😀

John

42 minutes ago, carastro said:

Yes there is virtually nothing in Oiii in this target.  I stacked HSS when i did it.

You have some nice shades and colour variations.

Carole 

Thanks Carole. 

I played around with the data for hours before it started to look anything decent.  I found I had a problem with the Darks I was using, which I think was due to stray light getting in somewhere.  After I re-did these it started to look a lot better.

It's also the first time I've used Straton for removing the stars and creating an RGB stars layer.  It worked very well and saved me hours of work.

John

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, carastro said:

Yes there is virtually nothing in Oiii in this target. 

I took some OIII, which I processed and although it looked fairly blank, I stretched it and added it as a layer anyway, which I think helped offset some of the stronger Ha/SII data.

John