Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece

PaulM

Ive recently acquired a 350p skywatcher and want to upgrade my EPs

I have a set of BST EPs would the below Baader setup be a good upgrade as I really want to get the most out of the 350p or any other suggestions for upgraded EPs?

Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece

and

Baader 2.25x barlow

Ive also read you can attach a DSLR to the barlow would this work on a 350p for short exposures on bright objects such as planets/globular clusters/bright nebulas?

Edited by PaulM

We certainly won't block you from spending money :D

BUT

...by looking at your sig I am not sure if you need it though. In terms of optical performance I am not sure if zoom will be that much better. It is very convenient though and when I am out with 127 Mak or 8" SCT it's the only eyepiece I use.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

You wouldn’t get much improvement in image quality over the BSTs. I found the narrow fov of the zoom quite claustrophobic in a similar speed Dob. However, the zoom is very convenient.

Paul

I agree with this having owned and used both BST's and a couple of the Hyperion zooms. What you gain is the convenience of the instantly variable focal length rather than any notable optical improvement. You would still probably want a low power / wide field eyepiece as well as the zoom though - at 24mm setting of the zoom has a rather narrow field of view (in common with most zooms).

To get a step up from the BST's you might need to think about Explore Scientific 68 or 82 degree ranges, Nirvana 82s or even the Tele Vue Delos or Pentax XW's if you really want to push the boat out and let your 14 inch dob really show what it can do.

• Like 2

Totally agree with John. I don't think you will get the" upgrade " ? That you are looking for by going from BST to Hyperion. I think now you really need to look into the next step up again and the Pentax XW or TV Delos. Not cheap eyepieces, but second hand more affordable. And with eyepieces like these they are buy once and "keepers " IMO. Since getting my mini set of Pentax XW I have not been tempted to go beyond these and work great with my 14" Dob as well as the 120ed frac.

Hope this help your decision

• Like 1

I've the Leica asph ww zoom on a 500p dob, brilliant eyepiece, especially if you can find one second hand. 17.6mm to 8.8mm zoom and the widest fov of any zoom I'm aware of - its main selling point besides the Leica optical quality. I've Ethos, Delite, TV plossl, Morpheus and Baader aspheric, and the Leica zoom gets the most use by far, distantly followed by the 21mm Ethos and 9mm Delite. 

• Like 1

I've got a mkIV zoom but I don't use it with my big dobsonian. The zoom adds a lot of convenience but it is not so good on eye relief and apparent field of view as my Delos and Naglers.

Edited by Paz
  • Like 1