Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trying Einsteins Cross

jetstream

Trying is a good description... all set up, the forecast good and dark adapted. The sky looks a bit strange, low extinction on the horizon, but my NELM is off? must be my eyes tonight as I was outside all day.

Yeah right..

The Sky Commander was programmed for PGC 69457 so all set to go. Warming up on Stephans Quintet showed the object very faint? not typical in the 24", hmmm

:laughing4:

Note to self :  1-practise programming the Sky Commander before relying on it- I was massively off, messing up the Dec number

2- check the Aurora forecast before setting up the scope!

The Northern Lights, hiding behind trees on the ridge horizon washed everything out pretty bad, so I went the 200yds to the dock to watch them after the scope was put away.

The first try on Einsteins Cross was a learning experience lol!

image.png.18bc62cda31f48bd9c6a2e95df0cdb5b.png

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, scarp15 said:

What eyepiece, magnification will you anticipate for attempting this observation Gerry?

My plan is to locate the lensing galaxy, PGC 69457, 14-15 mag hopefully with the Docter 12.5mm UWA. If successful I will re align the Sky Commander on it and then try the 10mm BCO. Next will be the 10BCO/VIP @ 1.5x then 2x with both 15mm extensions. I have a VG 7mm KK ortho which will also be enlisted.

Plan B will have the Paracorr in place with a Delos possibly- sure wish I didn't sell them now...

When using the Sky Commanders realign option I can get back on target using a .14 deg tfov.

Mags will be 200x,250x,372x and 500x.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

Excellent, look forward to hearing about your forthcoming accounts Gerry. If that's OK so that readers who will be following your attempts, attached is some more info on this subject.  

https://observing.skyhound.com/archives/sep/Q2237+0305A.html

Perfect Iain!

Well the cats out of the bag now... this object and ones like it are a major reason I bought the 24". I'm fascinated by Einstein and other great minds like his. I want to see this classic example of light bending around the galaxy in warped spacetime and this really hits to the heart of why I'm a visual observer- I want to see it with my own eyes.

I have zero expectations to see this, I only hope I can get a glimpse of at least one image, "A" perhaps. Experienced DSO observers say 2 might be possible in the 24" and one very experienced one said "you never know, you might get them all".

Orthos are my only hope I think and I need the unusual combination of excellent seeing with excellent transparency.

This object will be my primary target for as long as its in a good position to view.

• Like 6

On 28/09/2019 at 21:54, jetstream said:

..... the heart of why I'm a visual observer- I want to see it with my own eyes....

I really hope you get it Gerry and I 100% understand what you mean by the above :smiley:

• Like 2