NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece upgrade

wormix

Good morning all,

I figure it’s about time I start to consider purchasing some better eyepieces as I’ve been using the ones provided with scopes for a while now. 

Question is would I be better served spending ~£40 on new BST Starguiders or hanging around and try to find second hand Baader hyperions for ~£50-60?

I’m currently looking at a ~5mm and ~15mm for use on a 150pds (f5) and an ETX125 (f15)

cheers

Alternatively, the Celestron X-cell LX/Meade HD60 ranges are pretty similar to the BSTs if any turn up on the second hand market. There are also the Baader BCOs in a similar price bracket, which are better optically at the expense of field of view and eye relief. 

I bought sets of the HD-60 and Paradigms (BST Starguiders) and compared them for field of view, edge correction, and eye relief and compiled my results in this thread.  Under the stars, they're pretty equivalent as far as contrast and stray light control.  At the shorter focal lengths, there isn't much to distinguish between them and the more premium eyepiece lines other than field of view and eye relief.  It's in the longer focal lengths (12mm and up) where the edge of field really starts to fall apart compared to premium lines.  In the center 50%, they're pretty equivalent to the premium offerings even in the longer focal lengths.

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

I bought sets of the HD-60 and Paradigms (BST Starguiders) and compared them for field of view, edge correction, and eye relief and compiled my results in this thread.  Under the stars, they're pretty equivalent as far as contrast and stray light control.  At the shorter focal lengths, there isn't much to distinguish between them and the more premium eyepiece lines other than field of view and eye relief.  It's in the longer focal lengths (12mm and up) where the edge of field really starts to fall apart compared to premium lines.  In the center 50%, they're pretty equivalent to the premium offerings even in the longer focal lengths.

Thanks for this - given me something to think about, especially as I wear glasses. 

Also makes me wonder whether 15mm is the size to go for.  My current “collection” includes a 9mm, 26mm and 28mm so I’m missing the lower end and mid range. 

Appreciate everyone else suggestions  too, though does give me more to consider!

Cheers