Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece Advice

JCAZ

As I said, I have both the XW7 and Delos 8 (the latter with parfocalizer ring to match the focus position of the XWs), and I use both because they are in my "planetary range" with my C8 at F/10. IMAG0773.thumb.jpg.238611e37b71604e11924acc7c7bcb94.jpg

I have got the Delos 6mm since this photo was taken. In planetary viewing, the close spacing of focal lengths allows me to adjust to seeing conditions easily, and having them parfocal makes refocusing a thing of the past.

For DSOs a wider spacing suffices, and the Delos or Ethos 8 would complement the Nagler 13 well

• Like 2

My former 10E was a very high contrast eyepiece as was my 8mmDelos- the Delos was sharper (planetary/lunar) and deeper with similar nebula contrast. To my eyes the Ethos/Delos/Nikon HW out contrast the Nagler/ES series of eyepieces.

Sounds like you need an Ethos or Delos...

For what it's worth, the eyepieces that I use with my Tak FC-100DL are:

Panoptic 24mm, Delos 17.3mm and 14mm, Pentax XW 10, 7, 5 and 3.5mm and the Nagler 2-4mm zoom.

I do also have Ethos in 21, 13, 8 and 6mm but most often I use the Tak in 1.25" mode (Baader T2 Zeiss diagonal) so the 1.25 inch set is used much more often.

You can go round and round with eyepiece choices and I have over the years having tried loads. I've settled on the above now though and I stongly suspect that the eyepieces are better than my observing eye is !

Greetings all,

And thank you for your comments.  I put my order in for the 8mm Ethos.  Will be here on Friday.  Will be my first Ethos, so I will be interested to see how it performs and how we get along.  

As the monsoons clear here in southern AZ I will doing some comparisons that should prove fun and interesting.  Eyepiece comparisons will of course be on the agenda.  But I will also be comparing my Tak to a Celestron 6" f/5 Newtonian I bought.  I had Swayze refigure the primary, and I have a Antares secondary I will eventually put in.  I suspect this scope, while not optimized for planetary work (secondary is closer than ideal), will give the Tak a run for its money on the planets, and go a bit deeper on deep sky.  Should be fun.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the input, helps in sorting things out.

john

• Like 2

Great stuff - I'm sure you will enjoy it :smiley:

I've put a 2 inch diameter barrel extender on my 13, 8 and 6mm Ethos so that I can use a 2 inch filter with them to tease out those nebulae. The Baader 28mm Fine Tuning Rings do a good job for this purpose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Great stuff - I'm sure you will enjoy it :smiley:

I've put a 2 inch diameter barrel extender on my 13, 8 and 6mm Ethos so that I can use a 2 inch filter with them to tease out those nebulae. The Baader 28mm Fine Tuning Rings do a good job for this purpose.

Thanks for the tip.  I am sure I will be going there.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2019 at 18:47, JCAZ said:

Greetings all,

And thank you for your comments.  I put my order in for the 8mm Ethos.  

11 hours ago, JCAZ said:

It's here.  Likely start a new thread as I get to use it.

john

IMG_20190920_141305211_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Quality wise I don't think you can go wrong with the 100 d ,TV Ethos. I think the only draw back is for your piggy bank 😀 . As if you like the quality nice wide angle views from your new TV then you may wish to expand your collection of these . 

Don't forget to post some pictures of your complete set up with the TV ethos in your Tak. 👍

Enjoy 🔭

• Like 1