Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M27 HOO

blinky

This was taken over 3 nights - I eventually got 8.5 hrs of Ha and a couple in Oiii - Had no idea how bright M27 is in Oiii but it drowns out the Ha. Getting the outer shell of Ha to show at all was a complete nightmare, I eventually had to drop into Photoshop, delete everything from a version of the image other than the outer Ha shell, make the rest pure black, then blend it back in.  TBH a lot of my Ha subs were only 2 mins with a couple of hours at 5 mins, guess if I had 8 hrs in Ha at 5mins it would have showed up a bit more.

The camera was an ASI1600mm pro with ZWO narrowband filters and the scope an 8" F4 newt

M27-HOO-Aug2019-Newt.jpg

Edited by blinky
  • Like 8

I tried M27 in narrowband last winter. I used S2 as well. I got the red edge quite well. I hope you don't mind me posting my version. I can't remember how many subs but it was probably the same for each filter and about 2 to 3 hours total data. My focus still needs work!

6E4BBC2A-0325-4B36-9CB8-E36AC7FE5893.png

Edited by Anne S
Add info

The TEC140. I have Astrodon 3nm Ha and OIII connected to that now so will use this (when I get my guiding issue sorted that is 🙄)

I always use the TEC140 scope for smaller objects.  FSQ85 (no reducer any more - too much faffing around) for a wider field, and Samyang 135mm lens for a true wider field.

Your HOO M27 is one of the best ones I have ever seen, a truly superb effort.

To get the outer shell a method I have heard is to grab plenty of 3x3 and even 4x4 binned subs to get plenty of signal on the outer nebula and blend that into the "main" 1x1 data.