Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moving to a light polluted area...

We are considering moving into the town and out of the country. Unfortunately this means my nice skies will be left behind.  Travelling to a dark site just isn’t practical for me. So in preparation I’ll need to consider my options. I’m going to get a dome which should provide some shielding. What would be the ideal scopes, cameras and filters for this type of sky?

TIA

Adam. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

It might result in considering solar observing and imaging a higher priority than at present.     😎

I have a 60mm solar scope but it gets used much less than I anticipated due to any sunny days I’m off work being spent with the kids.

I should add I’m 100% imaging and rarely do any meaningful observing. 

Edited by tooth_dr

Oh dear, I feel for you living in Bortle 8 myself.  I find I am VERY restricted in targets I can do from here which is why I go to Astro camps at Bortle 4 on a regular basis.  

The brighter targets can still be done with a decent LP filter, but there are only a limited number of those.  Then I can do a fair bit of Narrowband, but even then only the brighter NB targets.

If you can afford Astrodon NB filters I would say they are your best bet though i only have Baader ones.

You might like to take a look at my dedicated website for images I have done purely from Bortle 8.

https://sites.google.com/view/carastroimaging/home

Carole 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Narrowband would be an option on imaging, no worrying about the Moon or street lights. Astrodons if you have downsized and released a ton of cash or Baader/Astronomik for us mere mortals.

Unfortunately also wouldn’t be downsizing.

Is there any advantage to upgrading to a good fast scope eg Tak Epsilon over my current twin ED80 arrangement? Are the 3nm Astrodons effective at eradicating light pollution?

Oh no, I do feel for you having managed to do the reverse. But even in Bortle 8 Ruislip I managed NB with 3 nm Astrodons, choosing the best targets.

I've even managed the Leo Triplet, so all is not lost.

Most of my 'scopes are or have been around f/7 so not especially fast.

You'll probably still have to polish your gradient removal techniques.

• Thanks 1