SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Case for Tak FC100 Class

Well,  I just got the call today from Texas Nautical.  Probably will be here by week's end.  They should be starting to show up everywhere soon I would think.   Now I would like a nice case.  Will probably have a custom Pelican case made.  Looking forward to getting this scope, should be some good glass. 

I use a Geoptic soft case for mine, decent padding levels and for my purposes it is ideal ie storage and carrying to or from the car or observing site. I guess I could pop it in the Genesis hard case if i needed too :)

I assume the DZ is not airline portable?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Congrats, please post photos and a first light review 👍🙂

Thanks.  I hope to get so I can use it this weekend.  Definitely some pics on the way!

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I use a Geoptic soft case for mine, decent padding levels and for my purposes it is ideal ie storage and carrying to or from the car or observing site. I guess I could pop it in the Genesis hard case if i needed too :)

I assume the DZ is not airline portable?

From what I understand, it may be. airline portable  I think it is 23" dew shield retracted and eyepiece extensions removed.  Honesty, I am not one to take a scope on a an airline, although ya never know.

A soft case was something I thought about.  I tend to pamper my equipment anyway so it would likely suffice.  Might still be a possibility. I guess I am trying to understand what might be available, but there's not a lot to choose from as far as I can tell.

27 minutes ago, JCAZ said:

From what I understand, it may be. airline portable  I think it is 23" dew shield retracted and eyepiece extensions removed.  Honesty, I am not one to take a scope on a an airline, although ya never know.

A soft case was something I thought about.  I tend to pamper my equipment anyway so it would likely suffice.  Might still be a possibility. I guess I am trying to understand what might be available, but there's not a lot to choose from as far as I can tell.

The Pelicase 1510 and 1525 fit the FC100DC with focuser and dewshield removed but not sure about the DZ.

This is the soft case I use. As said it is quite suitable for most uses but obviously not up to hard case levels of protection.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-padded-case-for-100mm-refractors-f750.html

9 hours ago, Stu said:

The Pelicase 1510 and 1525 fit the FC100DC with focuser and dewshield removed but not sure about the DZ.

This is the soft case I use. As said it is quite suitable for most uses but obviously not up to hard case levels of protection.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-padded-case-for-100mm-refractors-f750.html

That's the very same case I use.    :) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, A McEwan said:

That's the very same case I use.    :) 

...and me 🙂 

I also found the case that my william optics 123 came in works well too when I'd like a bit more protection (eg when I want to be able to put things on top of it without worrying).  It looks like they no longer make them though.... https://www.astroshop.es/bolsos/william-optics-bolso-de-transporte-para-fluorostar-98-110-123/p,22230

Helen

• Like 3

Scope should be here tomorrow, but I am realizing I have a dilemma.  In the past I had a TSA102 on a Losmandy GM8.  i had a ADM plate I was able to mount the telescope to using the Tak tube holder.  Right now all I have is mounts with Vixen style mounting rails.  Does anyone make a Vixen style rail that will mate to the Tak tube holder?

Well, got the item I needed from Texas Nautical - Vixen style dovetail drilled for Tak tube ring.  Probably should of thought all this through ahead of time.  Now I have three separate packages arriving tomorrow - scope, tube ring, dovetail.  At least I know it will be functional.  I have two mounts, HEQ5 Pro and AZ GTI.  Looking to perhaps switch out tripod on AZ GTI.  I have a wooden tripod, quite nice and compact, but the head/top is an odd design.  I think it is an old Russian TAL tripod.  Very well built, I am just going to have to figure out how to get the AZ GTI head on the tripod.  But I have two functional mounts for now so it not urgent.

• Like 1

All items show that they have arrived in town, so delivery today for all three.  Good news is, I work 4 10 hours day with Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off.  Also it's Labor Day weekend so Monday off as well.  So I am having my coffee awaiting my packages.  Pics will be incoming today.  I'm in the zone.  

• Like 2