Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Seeing Double with the ST80

mark81

I always enjoy reading observing reports from other members and am always intrigued when they mention double stars.  The only doubles I've ever glanced at are easy binocular targets and recently I've been wondering whether I'm missing out.  I know the ST80 isn't the first scope, nor 2nd or 3rd that you would think of when viewing doubles but I went for it anyway.

Started at Almaak in Andromeda with x16 just to get it in my sights and I immediately thought that there is no way I'm going to see a tiny star next to this star... Went up to x24 and then x50 still nothing.  Went all in at x133 and there it was!  A big smile on my face and even more so when I could see a colour difference. Orange for the primary and a pale blue for the secondary.

In that one double I could really see myself getting into this. The way you have to run through mags untill that star reveals itself, the colours of course and then there's the separation itself. 

I went on to split Polaris at x66, ETA Cassiopeia at x66 and Pi Andromeda at x133.  I don't see colour on them all but found the whole experience really quite pleasing.  

I really can see why many people love this part of the hobby and it's something I must get into a little more...

Mark

• Like 9

Great one Mark.

I too used to wonder why folks made a fuss, then Ed (NGC1502) set me looking.
Hooked line and sinker, now always have a look at doubles every time I am out.

Those little ST80 are very under rated, I had one as a temporary scope and loved it.
It only went in a scope cull to keep the good lady happy.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 2

Well done Mark, it's great to push whichever scope you've got and to see what is possible with it. I enjoy doubles too, they are a good target if you have light pollution or the transparency is not the best for deep sky objects.

Mizar is a great one to look at if you haven't already? It's a naked eye double with Alcor, then in the scope Mizar itself splits into two.

Don't forget Albireo in Cygnus, another lovely colour contrast.

You might also want to give the Double Double a go. At high power you might get it even though they are quite tight. I've split them in surprising small scopes, and fracs seem to do better than other scope types.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Well done Mark, it's great to push whichever scope you've got and to see what is possible with it. I enjoy doubles too, they are a good target if you have light pollution or the transparency is not the best for deep sky objects.

Mizar is a great one to look at if you haven't already? It's a naked eye double with Alcor, then in the scope Mizar itself splits into two.

Don't forget Albireo in Cygnus, another lovely colour contrast.

You might also want to give the Double Double a go. At high power you might get it even though they are quite tight. I've split them in surprising small scopes, and fracs seem to do better than other scope types.

Yeah, Thanks Stu, I have just added those to my list.... So many to choose from!  Many will be out of reach but it'll be fun having a go..

• Like 1

I got into solar system objects and dso's first and then doubles later, they are great targets and are doable in a wide range of conditions.

I'm a fan of having a go at any target in any scope and have tried my st80 on just about every type of target from planets and  doubles to galaxies and nebulae.

• Like 3