Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Not too happy with this one?

chewy

Hi Chaps

Not too happy with this Taken with Canon 350D through Celestron G8-N 2x Barlow 90 secs exp 800asa

Just does not seem right to me

had a little play in ps with the levels,

all coments welcome

Ian

image.jpg

Hi Ian ,ok , its an ok one Ian , you have the core with some fine detail there mate , just a tad out of focus is all , i have reduced the image and sharpened it a wee bit as well , colour is good , now the exposure would have to be longer to gain the outer regions , or a different exposure setting or time , the thing is with M42 to get the outer regions you have to blow the core, so what u have taken is just fine , go longer with the exposure and you can then combine the two frames , i would suggest however to take a few more frames and stack for less noise in the image , but its good Ian , keep at it , you will get better each time mate .

Rog

post-12695-133877319047_thumb.jpg

Hi Ian

Im not too experienced in PS myself so can't help you there

but i have seen some good results using your 350D @ 1600 ASA.

Also i would like to see you try the same image without using a

barlow and maybe take more images then stack them to help

reduce the noise levels and enhance the detail in the final image.

That might give you the result your after.

Still have to say though mate i like it.

yes used PS Ian, reduced the size to 650 i think or there abouts ,then used the auto sharpen in the enhancement , used the levels a tad , then into the filters and used noise , despeckle , then one touch again on auto focus, any surrounding black areas that showed graining i used the lasso around those areas set the feather to about ten , then back to levels and slightly darken the areas that the Lasso took in , this is just a basic bit of processing normally works for most images Ian.

Rog

Thanks Jamie

affraid cant take one without barlow the G8-n does not reach focus with out it

Rog Thanks for that, cant find auto focus in my version ps7 will have to get an upgrade, tried the lasso but cant seem to get my head round it?

I will keep trying

Ian

yes sorry about that IAN , I HAVE BOTH PS7 AND ADOBE ELEMENTS ,I,M AFRAID ITS IN ELEMENTS SORRY ABOUT THAT , ITS A USEFUL TOOL AS WELL IS THAT , THE LASSO TAKES A BIT OF GETTING USED TO IAN,DONT FORGET I BEEN DOING THIS A LONG WHILE NOW , SO DONT WORRY TO MUCH , IT WILL ALL GET BETTER AS YOU PROGRESS,

ROG

Ian, I think there is an awful lot that is really good with this pic esp the detail in the centre. You have avoided the usual burn out. Just slightly out of focus. this is a difficult business esp so with a DSLR I gather

That's not too Bad Ian,

Got the core detail well there, you have just about got it nailed. Keep pluging away, i find i have to throw about 80-90% my images away just to find something half decent ( Unless your name is Alan and all is perfect :lol: )

Cheers

Gordon

PS got a TFT screen to try aid with focusing on the 350 i will let you know how i get on with.

Eh what, someone mention me, oh I see perfect me hah ! not even close, just ask my other half :), even less perfect in the astro imaging world, if I do put my limited success down to anything it's trying to work within my and my equipments capabilities and not to be too over ambitious, not seeing any result as a failure (getting anything in this game is a huge achievement ) but to try and use them to lean from, and above all try and listen and learn from other people (just as Gordon and Ian do to me :):lol:), it's amazing how quickly we learn.

Lots of detail in that image Ian, but as you say it's not just quite right ?, focus maybe or more likely in my opinion the barlow, I would try and do whatever I could to mount the camera without it and see if the results are better.

Cheers

Alan. (The Perfect One :))

Bringing the thread back on topic...

Thats not to bad Ian, As Roger said the focus is a little off. But thats all thats wrong.

Why won't the DSLR come to focus without it? Is it a lack of back focus? I had that problem with my Newt (it's a very common problem with newts) - you may find that the DSLR gets very close to focus but needs a few extra MM to get it right. With mine I moved the main mirror up the tube using the collimation screws - but I only needed about 2mm.

Your scope may need a low profile focuser (it may already have one) - that could be a possible solution.

Ant

Thanks Ant

The problem with focus is out focus on the focuser.

It has a lowproflie one on now and I have obtained a longer 2" adapter so will try that when its clear again.SORRY FOR THE SWEAR WORD :ky: :ky:

Nice pics - it's all there just needs some titivation!!

The focus took me ages to sus out- but using the preview on the DSLR helps or a Hartmann mask...

Nice big pic of orion... The last one I took I used a slower ASA and stacked 4 images (As Skyguy said) Then fiddled in PS.. quite pleased with the result.

Greg

I'm also asuming that you're using a 2" barlow. Does the lens part screw off the barlow? (mine does).

In which case you could remove the lens part and use the barlow as an extension tube (I have to do this when using my 2" EP).

Hopefully that helps...

Swear word? Didn't see one!

Ant

That should help mate. It means that the scope will be faster than it was (because you're increasing the FL) and there will be one less thing for the light to go through and should brighten your image a little.

Also the fov will be bigger, so any guiding errors will be reduced.

It's all win win really :lol:

Clear - yeah, sorry missed that - try not to do it again :)

Ant

Archived