Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Super budget 12"

It probably won't win any beauty contests, plus the mirror might not have the best figure or coatings? but it was at a price to suit somone with almost empty pocket so just couldnt resist.

I only took the journey for the Meade Starfinder pedastal mount for my pending low budget obsy.

My first scope above 8"! 🙂

IMG_20190818_211358355.jpg

IMG_20190818_210805695.jpg

IMG_20190818_210833534.jpg

IMG_20190818_210842413.jpg

IMG_20190818_210826343.jpg

IMG_20190818_210942211.jpg

IMG_20190818_210918123.jpg

• Like 13

27 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

coat of paint on that tube and it'll look a million dollars (not that it matters in the dark).

Yep, this old Beacon Hill scope just needs a touch of TLC and a Telrad :) 

Just caught a quick look at Jupiter with a 25mm Plossl before the obligatory thick rain clouds rolled in, and I could see four moons and some banding so the optics can't be too terrible. 

• Like 5

Indeed I’m familiar with that very scope as it was my local club’s main scope until 2003 when our members built our 16” truss tube Dob.  Jim refigured the mirror to f4.3 others did the rest. 

Lifting the 12” Beacon Hill means you won’t need to pay to go down the gym 😁 so it was even cheaper than you think 😁  

We have replaced it with a 12” Lightbridge but had to drive to north of Manchester to get it.......

Enjoy, Ed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alan White said:

Aha, I think I know you have been in my neck of the woods Mr L and seen Jim?

lol You've sussed me out, Alan :D Yes, I bought these two items off Jim, he was selling them on behalf of his club (your club as well?). It was very nice chatting with Jim, he's a very knowledgeable man and wow he has some great kit!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

Indeed I’m familiar with that very scope as it was my local club’s main scope until 2003 when our members built our 16” truss tube Dob.  Jim refigured the mirror to f4.3 others did the rest. 

Lifting the 12” Beacon Hill means you won’t need to pay to go down the gym 😁 so it was even cheaper than you think 😁  

We have replaced it with a 12” Lightbridge but had to drive to north of Manchester to get it.......

Enjoy, Ed.

Well I have lifted the Beacon Hill OTA a few times already and I can tell you you're not wrong! :D It's right on the limit of what I can manage so I'm looking at ways of making it easier - I might put some handles on it, and some wheels on the base so I can wheel it around. 

I initially only wanted the mount for future obsy purposes, but got ideas of sticking the BH 12" on the Meade pedestal mount as it's at least as heavy duty as an EQ6 if not more so (1" steel shafts, 4" steel tubing, and proper bearings). I think I'll do this as an intial obsy setup if I'm happy enough with the optics? other wise I'll raise the mount up on a higher pier and put a great big dirty 6" Achro on it, or a lighter Newt.   

• Like 1

Hi Chris

Yes same club as Ed (NGC 1502), that mount does indeed look a great basis for a future set up.
Happy you like it and the free Gym Membership 😁

I take it that you have now moved to a new abode?
So nice to see you have a scope in your sig line again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lockie said:

Well I have lifted the Beacon Hill OTA a few times already and I can tell you you're not wrong! :D It's right on the limit of what I can manage so I'm looking at ways of making it easier - I might put some handles on it, and some wheels on the base so I can wheel it around. 

I initially only wanted the mount for future obsy purposes, but got ideas of sticking the BH 12" on the Meade pedestal mount as it's at least as heavy duty as an EQ6 if not more so (1" steel shafts, 4" steel tubing, and proper bearings). I think I'll do this as an intial obsy setup if I'm happy enough with the optics? other wise I'll raise the mount up on a higher pier and put a great big dirty 6" Achro on it, or a lighter Newt.   

Hi Chris. I had thoughts of buying the BH 12” myself.  I think the tube assembly could be made lighter by bolting the side bearings directly to the tube, once you’ve decided what angle you’d like the focuser and the balance point if you remove the heavy finder. That would remove most of the plywood box.  Just a square of the original plywood would keep the side bearings the same width to fit the mount. Also you then wouldn’t need the slip ring above the side bearing box. The optical finder and metal bracket is much heavier than a Telrad.  You would need packing pieces top and bottom of those plywood squares to make it fit the tube and a strong job.

The base could be made lighter too. The very thick ground board could be triangular instead of square.  You could cut a circle out of the front board......etc.

Most Dobs are a work in progress, at least thats what I’ve always found, but lots of cloudy nights gives us time to sort it 👍

Perhaps you may like to let us know how you get on ?

Cheers from Ed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Hi Chris

I take it that you have now moved to a new abode?
So nice to see you have a scope in your sig line again.

Yes, a lovely little detached house with much more open views and a garage! A few street light scattered about as anywhere in suburbia, but I'll take that over the all round obstructions of our last place :) You can get LP filters but brick and tree filters are yet to hit the market :D 

Thanks! Me too, It's been a while and I've had to sit on my hands for a fair few clear nights over the last few months.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

Hi Chris. I had thoughts of buying the BH 12” myself.  I think the tube assembly could be made lighter by bolting the side bearings directly to the tube, once you’ve decided what angle you’d like the focuser and the balance point if you remove the heavy finder. That would remove most of the plywood box.  Just a square of the original plywood would keep the side bearings the same width to fit the mount. Also you then wouldn’t need the slip ring above the side bearing box. The optical finder and metal bracket is much heavier than a Telrad.  You would need packing pieces top and bottom of those plywood squares to make it fit the tube and a strong job.

The base could be made lighter too. The very thick ground board could be triangular instead of square.  You could cut a circle out of the front board......etc.

Most Dobs are a work in progress, at least thats what I’ve always found, but lots of cloudy nights gives us time to sort it 👍

Perhaps you may like to let us know how you get on ?

Cheers from Ed.

Good thoughts Ed, and yes indeed, I'll post back here with pics as I make any changes :) 

• Like 2