Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Toolbox

Mick W

G'day all. Newbie here. Setting up my new EQ5 pro I have downloaded the ASCOM platform V.209 but it doesn't come with EQMOD toolbox. I also don't see the EQMOD full control screen just a small version of a hand controler. Anyone have a link or advise that can help? I'm trying to run APT and Stellarium together and I'm chacing my tail. P.S. I'm a Mac man and had to buy a PC laptop to run these programs so I'm a tad frustrated with the cross over. Any help so I can get some sleep would be great.

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

I think you might be getting your programmes and version numbers mixed up. The ASCOM platform is currently up to v6.4 download from here and EQASCOM (AKA EQMOD) is v2.09. download here .

Hi Peter. Thanks. I tried running both the 2.09 and the 200k but both look like they're for the HEQ5 and 6 and they won't open properly. Very glitchy. Takes 2 minutes to open and impossible to close without restarting. I have the EQ5 pro and just can't find EQMOD. I can run both APT and Stallerium so not sure if I need to run EQMOD now. Very new to this.

EQMOD works for any Synscan EQ mount. EQMOD operates as an alternative to the Synscan handset, but isn't a requirement for either APT or Stellerium.  If you try running EQMOD without a mount connected through an EQDIR module the programme will keep shutting down and restarting (select kill EQASCOM from the windows EQMOD menus to stop it).

12 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

EQMOD works for any Synscan EQ mount. EQMOD operates as an alternative to the Synscan handset, but isn't a requirement for either APT or Stellerium.  If you try running EQMOD without a mount connected through an EQDIR module the programme will keep shutting down and restarting (select kill EQASCOM from the windows EQMOD menus to stop it).

Thanks Peter. Think I'll stick with what I have at the moment and get used to that first before I start buying anything else like EQDIR modules etc. Knew it wasn't going to be a cheap hobby but man.......:o)

16 hours ago, Mick W said:

Takes 2 minutes to open and impossible to close without restarting.

EQMOD is not a client program - it's a driver so it behaves differently. You can't 'close' it like you would a normal program. The driver monitors the number of connections to devices and when that count reaches 0, the driver unloads itself from memory...

As Peter said, it needs a mount - you can use the Simulator's that ship with ASCOM to get used to it and get it configured - otherwise, it is hunting through the COM ports to find one.

The Toolbox should be under: Start -> Programs -> EQMOD (Although this might be EQASCOM now).

Eqmod is really good I use an Eq6 Mount, APT and Carter du ciel ( found it easier to set up than stellarium as you need stellarium scope too ) though once if you have platesolving setup  in APT you don’t necessarily need to use a planetarium program if you know what your target is ,ps don’t worry about platesolving just yet ,  Apt can control the mount using ascom /Eqmod via eqdirect cable (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html )I have never used the handset ever . AP  is a black hole that sucks money in very quickly as you’ll find out 😂😂😂  before you chuck more money into the ap black hole see if there is a local Astro club maybe someone there can show you their setup using Eqmod may save a lot of frustration which shouldn’t be too hard once you have all the parts and software required, and maybe read Steve Richards book Making every photon count .  

Edited by bottletopburly

• 1 month later...
On 15/08/2019 at 02:46, Mick W said:

Thanks for your help chaps (hate saying "guys"). I'll try out these recommendations.👍

Hey Vacuum,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I have just encountered the same problem. Downloaded ASCOM and EQMOD, seeing the same keypad that won't close unless I restart. Can't find the toolbox anywhere. Have you found a solution? 

• 2 weeks later...

Kimi waffles. I took some great advise and went back to basics learning how to use the scope before I started mucking around with programmes. I did however find the EQMOD toolbox. I then found starting up in the same order every time made everything work. EQMOD-APT-CDC.