Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 6946 Through the Dust

HunterHarling

This is a 20 hour LRGBHa exposure of The Fireworks Galaxy that I captured part from the end of July, and last two nights. I was able to pull out some of the dim dust around the Ghost Brush Cluster and some small galaxies. Some of the galaxies in the image: PGC 166192 - MAG 15.15, PGC 64824 - MAG 17.00.

798767812_Fireworks6946.thumb.jpg.84f6798941ece9ed1321afb6f3c146dd.jpg

Exposures:

L: 60x300s

R, G, B 40x300s each

Ha: 50x360s

Total~20 Hours

ZWO 1600mm

FSQ106 ED

Questions / comments / processing advice much appreciated!

Thanks for looking

• Like 29

3 hours ago, GiorgioF said:

Excellent colours and processing. What was the Bortle sky? 300" on RGB is a huge amount (for me) with the asi1600.

Thanks. My bortal sky is much worse on the south-west side than the north-east, so I believe the sky around Cepheus is about Bortal 4. However, looking south-west is probably Bortal 6 or worse :( I think I'm pretty lucky to have the better northern sky though, as I can capture the targets as they rise  :) 

10 hours ago, HunterHarling said:

Thanks. My bortal sky is much worse on the south-west side than the north-east, so I believe the sky around Cepheus is about Bortal 4. However, looking south-west is probably Bortal 6 or worse :( I think I'm pretty lucky to have the better northern sky though, as I can capture the targets as they rise  :) 

Wow..... Both to much for me. I'm under a 8 or 9.... In this case I understand a so long exposure. Did you also try shorter sub and a lot more?

11 minutes ago, GiorgioF said:

Wow..... Both to much for me. I'm under a 8 or 9.... In this case I understand a so long exposure. Did you also try shorter sub and a lot more?

Yes, I've imaged using 180s before with good results. Really though, if you have bad light pollution, you should do narrowband. You could get some great results even with extreme LP.

• Like 1

Gorgeous. Really like the processing of this. Seeing the dust makes all the difference here. It resides, just like you say, 'through the dust', so bringing it to the fore like this in the final image is just perfect. 

Bravo! 

• Thanks 1