NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A poor M55

alan potts

As poor as this is I thought i would post it as it is probably impossible from the UK and far from ideally placed out here in central Bulgaria. This is only 40mins  as I didn't want to waste too much time on it as it was never going to be wonderful through the haze. Normal gear Canon 40D and 805mm apo on an AZ EQ 6.  Guiding was fairly awful this low down and fully understand why Olly from a similar latitude does  not recomment to his guest shooting around the Antraes area which is in fact about 5-6 degrees higher in the sky.

2080177366_M552goes06_08.thumb.jpg.8235a837acc902de6c684f27211ea00f.jpg

Be kind I know it's not great,

Alan

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. Excellent. I think it's good. I de-noised it a bit:

22.thumb.jpg.42b4fcc3c97c03975b879edb5651e2fc.jpg

What do you use to de-noise, I have been using select and mask them adjust it in Raw file viewer, I use to use a different technique which always worked on Globs but have mislayed my book of notes. Even I am beginning to like it after you have done this.

Alan

47 minutes ago, alan potts said:

What do you use to de-noise

Hi. In this case GIMP's wavelet denoise. On 16-bit, StarTools is the only app I've found which deals properly with OSC (FWOABW) mottle.

Cheers and HTH

**M55: no idea it was there. If I can get my hands on our big reflector, I'll have a go tonight. But hey, really good to get anything like that low. 

35 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. In this case GIMP's wavelet denoise. On 16-bit, StarTools is the only app I've found which deals properly with OSC (FWOABW) mottle.

Cheers and HTH

**M55: no idea it was there. If I can get my hands on our big reflector, I'll have a go tonight. But hey, really good to get anything like that low. 

Er, being a sort of new to this, can you translate, GIMP, I assume Startools is part of the program.

Alan

38 minutes ago, alan potts said:

can you translate

NP, but warning...

I use Linux and so am rendered incapable of explaining anything IT related in terms that anyone normal can understand! But I'll try...

Here are links to gimp and startools, both of which are imaging apps. There are mac and windows versions too.

Wavelet sharpen and wavelet denoise are extras you can add to gimp.

If you find a better way to remove dslr chroma noise, do please share.

Cheers and HTH

5 hours ago, alacant said:

NP, but warning...

I use Linux and so am rendered incapable of explaining anything IT related in terms that anyone normal can understand! But I'll try...

Here are links to gimp and startools, both of which are imaging apps. There are mac and windows versions too.

Wavelet sharpen and wavelet denoise are extras you can add to gimp.

If you find a better way to remove dslr chroma noise, do please share.

Cheers and HTH

I used a method of noise reduction that worked very well for Globs in particular, it was from an old video on YTube using the clone stamp, layers and gausian blur, you can use a very similar action for gradient, it just comes down to different blending modes. It was Budget Astro I think the guy went under. It worked very well indeed.

Alan

25 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Nice image indeed.

Don't see many Globulars on here.

I have posted a good few myself as I have been learning this AP lark. There are some that are even a bit too far south for me that are actually Messier objects, I feel this M55 is about the limit as to what's doable  or maybe a tad more on a really good night, this is about 17 degrees at max though most of this was nearer 14-15degrees.

Alan