NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR Memory Cards

kev 102 42

Hi Kev

I agree, don't buy from ebay the fakes are either no chip inside or a 512M sold as 2G

Try somewhere like 7dayshop.com for a good deal. I use a 2G card and even on RAW it will do 60-70 images which is usually enough. Get the card with the fastest write speed your camera can cope with. My 350 can take a minute to write the data for a 30 second widefield exposure on RAW setting.

Cheers

Danny

as said, avoid the cheap stuff off ebay, after all people have spent in time and money to be able to take a photo, they risk not saving it for the sake af what is often a couple of quid difference, if you were using film you'd pay alot more very soon so don't skimp.

i use sandisk and i've had no trouble, even if your doing terrestial photography don't go too overboard on card size, it can be better to have a few smaller cards rather than 1 big one, then if you either loose one or have a failure, you haven't lost everything. if you're planning to take action pics using multiple shots per second then make sure you've got a fast card as you can soon run into the camera having to wait for the data to save before it can take the next pic'

decent stuff doesn't cost much at the moment, i just googled and amazon are doing scandisk 4gb extreme III cards for £14.99

Cheap ones on Ebay as they tend to be fakes...better off paying a bit more and buying from a shop...

No real need to go bigger than 2GB for astro use...

All the one's I have ever bought off fleabay have been OK and just as quick as the real one's, these days I set the camera to download straight to the PC

I would never buy any more memory cards off Fleabay, I have in the past and they've always been rubbish. Try testing them in Flash Memory Toolkit.. and you'll find loads of read/write errors, which leads to corrupt data. I don't think you make much of a saving anyway.. so it's not really worth the hassle. Think I paid around £3.50 for a 2gb Kingston SD Card from Ebuyer.com, a very good brand. Not sure on the prices of CF Cards, definitely worth a look.. they're very competitive. I am sure there's plenty of other places that are competitively priced as well.

Peter

I steer clear of Ebay and the high street for different reasons. Ebay ones can be dodgy while the high street prices are rediculous.

Ebuyer, Mymemory and 7Dayshop all do memory cards for great prices so there's no real reason to look on Ebay.

Russ

I use Sandisk Extreme III SD cards but would be equally happy with cards from any reputable manufacturer such as Lexar, Kingston etc.

As per the other guys, give ebay a swerve when it comes to memory cards as there are just too many fakes floating about. Try Picstop and look for the "J" icon - these cards are shipped from Jersey and are VAT free making their prices hard to beat.

£5.99 delivered for a 1GB SanDisk Ultra II CF Card... or

£5.99 delivered for a 4GB INOV8 120x CF Card

http://www.picstop.co.uk/Compact-Flash-CF

Col

I would never buy any more memory cards off Fleabay, I have in the past and they've always been rubbish. Try testing them in Flash Memory Toolkit.. and you'll find loads of read/write errors, which leads to corrupt data. I don't think you make much of a saving anyway.. so it's not really worth the hassle. Think I paid around £3.50 for a 2gb Kingston SD Card from Ebuyer.com, a very good brand. Not sure on the prices of CF Cards, definitely worth a look.. they're very competitive. I am sure there's plenty of other places that are competitively priced as well.

Peter

I recommend Ebuyer. I buy all my business kit from them. When I got a faulty flat screen monitor, they changed it instantly, no questions asked. Good service. They are doing CF cards from Lexar for about 15 quid, which is not bad at at all. 20 quid for the Sandisk Extreme III, which is what I use.

i've used these guys a couple of times in the past..

http://www.onlinememory.co.uk/

very comptetitve prices:

Sandisk 8GB SD Cards (SDHC)

Free Delivery and Only £14.29

Sandisk 4GB SD Cards (SDHC)

Free Delivery and Only £8.22

Sandisk 2GB SD Cards

Free Delivery and Only £5.62

Kingston 4GB SD Card

Free Delivery and Only £7.44

Kingston 2GB SD Cards.

Free Delivery and Only £3.45