Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Novice imager: is a Lodestar X2 a good investment?

Evening all,

I've had some reasonable successes with a a QHY5L II CMOS guider on a ST80 guide scope. I'm now starting to get frustrated with sometimes having limited guide star choice due to the sensitivity of the chip.

As I said, I am still very much a novice imager, but the FLO Lodestar X2 offer has caught my eye.

I always thought the Lodestar to be the Rolls Royce of guide camera? Is this correct?

Is there another option to upgrade my finder-guider equipment? Thanks in advance.

I use the Lodestar X2. I have even imaged with it for a quick session to get my 40+ Messiers in one session. :p  That was for a different site. Its a VERY sensitive camera. And as a guidecam, I thinks its great :)

Here's a single quick shot of one galaxy using the Lodestar X2

image.png.43704351f93a85a02e5284620d80c9af.png

120 second single sub

image.png.29437ac76245667f94f3c4036d393454.png

image.png.6c117dd14c44163591e75e60eb24de9a.png

Edited by Star101
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Star101 said:

I use the Lodestar X2. I have even imaged with it for a quick session to get my 40+ Messiers in one session. :p  That was for a different site. Its a VERY sensitive camera. And as a guidecam, I thinks its great :)

Thanks for the post.

I've just read some poor experiences of the flimsy looking mini USB socket:

Have you had issues with your Lodestar X2 mini USB working loose? I have had similar issues on another devices...and it is bloody annoying!!

I read that many years ago. That is one cam out of how many that have not had issues?

Yes, I have had USB issues, but I replaced the USB cable with a quality one and so far it's been fine. 

I've had my lodestar maybe 4 years now. It's been in a ror shed for the past 15 months so not much tear down these days. Either way, if I needed a new guidecam for a second setup scope, personally, I would buy a second lodestar X2 without a doubt. I love its sensitivity, especially using the OAG. It can pick up stars that I believe others cams would struggle with. Just my opinion.

And, it's your choice. I hope you find what you are looking for.

I have used a qhy5 (the old type) and still have it and zwo 120m (again older version usb2). Both have been great and continue to do so. The qhy is less fussy about the odd cloud coverage passing. For the extra cost I would no bother upgrading and the 120 has had my old neq6 guiding at under 0.4" so I cannot complain.

Both Lodestar cameras are outdated several years ago, both have small sensors with large pixels and quite noisy too.

A better choice would be the ZWO ASI174mm mini or ZWO ASI290mm mini.
The 174 for an Off axis guider (large sensor and large pixels) and the 290 for a small guidescope (smaller sensor and smaller pixels)
Since your ST80 is longer FL than a small guidescope i would think about the 174 if it's not too expensive

Comparison of pixel size and sensor size:
Lodestar X2    8.2x8.4µm    6.45x4.75 mm
ASI174        5.86µm        11.3x7.1 mm
ASI290        2.9µm        5.6x3.2 mm

In in my opinion the 174 is by far the best guidecam today for larger guidescopes.
Here's a screenshot from PHD2 right now taken from a 1855mm FL scope. 5sec exposure.

Guidecam is a little out of focus, but there's for sure no lack of stars to guide on. 
image.png.592ce1d780b290f62b0a0bd2ecf3ddf6.png

• 2 weeks later...