NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR mod

KP82

I've been contemplating astro modding my 40D for sometime now. There are 3 main types of mod, LPF#2 removal, Baader BCF and Clear glass full spectrum. The one I'm most interested in is the Baader BCF because it allows Ha and SII to passthrough without the need of an IR/UV cut filter. Instead of doing this myself, I've been looking for a skilled 3rd party to carry it out and have come across this person http://www.dslrastromod.co.uk/index.html. Has anyone used this service before?

15 minutes ago, KP82 said:

I've been contemplating astro modding my 40D for sometime now. There are 3 main types of mod, LPF#2 removal, Baader BCF and Clear glass full spectrum. The one I'm most interested in is the Baader BCF because it allows Ha and SII to passthrough without the need of an IR/UV cut filter. Instead of doing this myself, I've been looking for a skilled 3rd party to carry it out and have come across this person http://www.dslrastromod.co.uk/index.html. Has anyone used this service before?

The 40d is getting on a bit now I’m terms of technology. I don’t think I would be spending money getting one modified.

I owned 2 x 40d cameras until recently and used them in tandem on a dual rig. I modified them myself, and 100% they are excellent cameras. But weighing up the costs, IMHO it’s only really worth it if you can do it yourself.

I removed just the one filter and left the second filter in place which does block out IR/UV.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

The 40d is getting on a bit now I’m terms of technology. I don’t think I would be spending money getting one modified.

I owned 2 x 40d cameras until recently and used them in tandem on a dual rig. I modified them myself, and 100% they are excellent cameras. But weighing up the costs, IMHO it’s only really worth it if you can do it yourself.

I removed just the one filter and left the second filter in place which does block out IR/UV.

You could be right, but it's just that I'm worried about ruining the camera completely by doing this myself. I've done some simple mod like fitting the rowan belt to my heq5, but this filter replacement seems to be on a completely different level of difficulty according to some youtube videos (also requires quite a few tools I don't have).

49 minutes ago, KP82 said:

You could be right, but it's just that I'm worried about ruining the camera completely by doing this myself. I've done some simple mod like fitting the rowan belt to my heq5, but this filter replacement seems to be on a completely different level of difficulty according to some youtube videos (also requires quite a few tools I don't have).

There is the potential for a lot to go wrong that is for sure. To give you an idea, I sold my low shutter count (can’t remember exactly but under 15k shots), modified 40d, last year for £140. 

Edited by tooth_dr

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

As much as I agree with you re spending, someone commented the other how good one of my shots was and the fact it was a 40D, still capable but I imagine not worth much to acquire one already modded.

Alan

26 minutes ago, alan potts said:

As much as I agree with you re spending, someone commented the other how good one of my shots was and the fact it was a 40D, still capable but I imagine not worth much to acquire one already modded.

Alan

Oh it’s a capable camera, I said the same above.  And likely the quality of our images will limited by our processing skills rather than the technology.

Anyway I don’t want to derail the thread since the OP asked for recommendations!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Cheapastrophotography is only £75 to convert your own dslr. Hope this post doesn't break any rules, just advice 

Thanks for the advice. But it looks like 40D (in fact none of the x0D) isn't listed in their list of models.

1 hour ago, KP82 said:

Thanks for the advice. But it looks like 40D (in fact none of the x0D) isn't listed in their list of models.

Sorry KP, didn't look at the exact models, just knew thay modded cameras. Hope you get sorted, but perhaps buying one already modded would be more viable and sell your 40d.

Edited by Nigella Bryant

8 hours ago, KP82 said:

Drop Juan at cheapastro an email and check. My 200d wasn't listed (and still isn't) but he did it for me, so that list isn't necessarily up to date. 

He also sells models that he has modded that aren't on the list...

Juan has many happy customers here, although it does normally take him a few days so don't expect a lightning-quick turn-around.

Ady 

17 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Sorry KP, didn't look at the exact models, just knew thay modded cameras. Hope you get sorted, but perhaps buying one already modded would be more viable and sell your 40d.

No worries. I've been looking at some used 450D on ebay. They are going for around £50. Maybe I could grab one and get it modded by Juan. The overall cost would be covered by selling the 40D (intact).

11 hours ago, adyj1 said:

Drop Juan at cheapastro an email and check. My 200d wasn't listed (and still isn't) but he did it for me, so that list isn't necessarily up to date. 

He also sells models that he has modded that aren't on the list...

Juan has many happy customers here, although it does normally take him a few days so don't expect a lightning-quick turn-around.

Ady 

That's good to know. I'll drop him an email to see if he's happy to replacement LPF#2 with a baader BCF for my 40D.

• Like 1

I sent an email to cheapastrophotography using the form on their website on Saturday, so far  I haven't received any response. Does anyone know if they are still in business?

On 26/07/2019 at 20:02, tooth_dr said:

I agree and modding the 40D is quite easy.

Edited by MarsG76

Tried Juan at Cheapastrophotography and Andy at Astronomiser two days ago, still no response. It looks like none of the UK based mod providers is in business anymore. So apart from the expensive service offered by Baader or TS in Germany, there is nowhere to get the camera modded or buy an existing modded camera now. Bummer!

1 hour ago, KP82 said:

Tried Juan at Cheapastrophotography and Andy at Astronomiser two days ago, still no response. It looks like none of the UK based mod providers is in business anymore. So apart from the expensive service offered by Baader or TS in Germany, there is nowhere to get the camera modded or buy an existing modded camera now. Bummer!

Modded cameras appear for sale on here regularly. Just keep an eye out or make a ‘wanted thread’