Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mak corrector plate. Advice please

I'm sure this has been asked. Even though my mak stays capped and bagged, it appears I have dust/moisture drops on the corrector lens (it's only 1-2 years old). Anyone have a safe easy way of cleaning it? I really appreciate the help. Not noticeable until I use the Barlow. 

You do not say which Mak this is, or whether the contamination is on the inside or the outside.  Unless extreme, the contamination should not affect the view at all. So my general advice is that you should do nothing.

Why are you using a Barlow?  Maks have long focal ratios, so the maximum useful magnification can be reached without one

Nothing on the corrector will show up at the eyepiece or camera, can you see the large "spot" at the centre? You can clean the corrector, if necessary, with mildly soapy water or a propriety lens cleaner.     😀

Sorry about that. Looks like it's on the outside to me. I will get a picture tonight. It's an Orion 150mm. I only use the Barlow on the moon. Noticed the spots last night when I could finally view the moon. I even switched Barlow's.

Anything dust or debris wise that shows up when you are viewing a bright object such as the moon is much closer to the eye than the corrector lens, ie: on eyepiece lenses or the diagonal optics.

• Like 1

If it is on the outside of the corrector, (i.e. menescuis cell), Baader Optical Wonder Fluid on a steralised cotton ball, (one squirt is sufficient), and apply light pressure, finish off with dry one, then a clean micro-fibre cloth. If however it is on the inside and you can remove the cell, then make a mark on some masking tape, or use a self-adhesive label, (i.e. one on the tube and one on the complete cell), to aid you when you re-align the complete cell to the tube during re-assembly. Try not to remove the glass from the cell, unless it is absolutely necessary.

This is how I clean the inside of my 're-modded' ETX105 cell when I have/had some FOD, (foriegn object debris), on it, (internally or externally).

Edited by Philip R

On 13/07/2019 at 17:33, Ozone said:

Sorry about that. Looks like it's on the outside to me. I will get a picture tonight. It's an Orion 150mm. I only use the Barlow on the moon. Noticed the spots last night when I could finally view the moon. I even switched Barlow's.

When you next see these specks loosen off the screws holding the eyepiece and barlow. While looking through the eyepiece, hold the barlow with one hand and rotate the eyepiece with the other. Next hold the eyepiece still and rotate the barlow. If the specks rotate while you are rotating the eyepiece or barlow that is the thing that is dirty. 

Finally, shake your head and rotate your eyes quickly and then quickly look back through the eyepiece. Have any of the specks moved or disappeared? If so you are seeing the floaters in your eye. This is very likely if you are using a barlow with a Mak as the exit pupil will be very small. I believe there is a type of laser surgery that can remove them, but a cheaper option is to use a binoviewer for high power lunar and planetary. When using two eyes your brain will filter out the floaters. 

It's not the Barlow. The spots showed with two different Barlow lenses. I am also doing photography and looking at the computer. Not through the telescope. You can see in the above image that the spots are on the outside of the telescope lens.

On 13/07/2019 at 04:32, Peter Drew said:

Nothing on the corrector will show up at the eyepiece or camera, can you see the large "spot" at the centre? You can clean the corrector, if necessary, with mildly soapy water or a propriety lens cleaner.     😀

Elaborate on this please. What soap, what mixture? What type of lens cleaner. For glasses? Dry with clean microfiber cloth?

To clean correctors, I have several large ones, I use one drop of washing up liquid to a cup of warm water as a cleaning agent. I dip a cotton wool ball into it and then drag it across the corrector with the telescope inclined downwards to avoid water getting inside the tube. Repeat this until clean. Afterwards repeat with just distilled water then dry off and gently wipe with a microfibre cloth if necessary. If you are concerned about doing this, don't bother, if you could see or image dust on the corrector then the large central obstruction would also be seen. As already posted, the problem lies either on the eyepiece, diagonal or the camera sensor (most likely). A Barlow lens will make the appearance worse.   😀

• Like 2

On 13/07/2019 at 07:25, Ozone said:

I'm sure this has been asked. Even though my mak stays capped and bagged, it appears I have dust/moisture drops on the corrector lens (it's only 1-2 years old). Anyone have a safe easy way of cleaning it? I really appreciate the help. Not noticeable until I use the Barlow. 

I would suggest that you get a hurricane blower and blow the dust off the lens first to avoid any scratching of the lens.

Hopefully this will be my last question about this  topic, what is the difference between a pec pad and a new microfiber cleaning cloth that comes from the eye doctor?