NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How much better is the EQ5 Pro than the EQ3-2?

Swoop1

I have had a windfall and have £500-£550 as disposable cash. I am looking at something good for astro to spend it on.

My current mounts are an alt az which is more than capable for my current needs and a modified EQ3-2 where I fitted the drive kit myself.

I am thinking of upgrading to an EQ5 Pro which will (I hope) be better for imaging with my SW 150P newt.

Is it a worthy upgrade that will, to a degree, future proof me or should I look at something else to blow my cash on?

Thanks all

Matt

Edited by Swoop1
speeling mistak

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to How much better is the EQ5n than the EQ3-2?

If you want to do imaging and £500 is the maximum you have to spend I'd try to get a second hand HEQ5, much better for imaging.  It's what I use.  Get one from some-one on here or some-one you know. 

Last time I looked the HEQ5 was around £750 new. 

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2

Yes, the EQ5 pro will have goto, Higher payload, less vibration, and more accurate motors for tracking. A second hand HEQ5 or AVX would have a higher payload and more accurate motors again, it just depends if you want new or second hand? Both have their benefits. 

• Like 1

I had this dilemma two years ago. In the end I took the second hand HEQ5 route even though it was more than I needed at the time. Always been happy with the decision- this year I decided to add a 200p as an imaging scope and the HEQ5 handles it comfortably; I'm not sure an EQ5 would have.

• Thanks 1

+1 for a second hand HEQ5, pretty much bomb proof, higher load capacity and better tracking than an EQ5.

AVXs come up frequently second hand too, but I see many more stories of frustration with these mounts and I'd stay away from them.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all.

Having just had this windfall, I realise that a birthday is also coming up so i may well add the cash to birthday gift IOU's and go for the HEQ5.

Edited by Swoop1
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

The courier cometh!

Just ordered an HEQ5 PRO from FLO (and a Celestron C6 XLT OTA to keep it company).

Very nice... I'm expecting some nice astro image posts in your near future.

3 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Very nice... I'm expecting some nice astro image posts in your near future.

Don't hold your breath (for the nice element of your expectations......)😉

• Haha 1