NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What mount for my TS70mm carbon fibre

Hi all, I've been away on holiday with just my omegon clockwork mount, modded dslr and some telephoto lens. It's got me hooked now to take my TS70mm carbon fibre tube telescope next time. At present this sits on my 12inch f4 Newtonian and used only as a guidescope. Bit of a waste I know. What kind of mount would be a good match, definitely goto and eq with autoguider input was what I was thinking. 

I found trying to find objects with the omegon clockwork mount near impossible unless I knew exactly where the object should be and also the omegon only has a 2kg capacity. My TS70mm plus dslr would be around 3.5kg.

Many thanks for reading. 

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yep, can't do any better than that really. Very capable little mount.

I second that recommendation. Fantastic little mount. 

Mine carries an ST102 without complaint and could just about cope with the length and weight of an ED100, but the addition of a Moonlite took it over the edge. 

Edited by AdeKing
Spelling
  • Like 1

Some scopes have finder on 'the wrong side' for default mount orientation but you can update the mount to eq mode via firmware. Then you can mount the scope the other way and make everything more accessible (if??).

Hi, 

The scope is just turned on its side so you just rotate the diagonal to the normal position. 

15 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I don't understand what is meant when skywatcher says it's mounted on the other side?

This is possibly referring to the firmware update that let's you use the mount in EQ mode. 

Default out if the box configuration has the dovetail clamp positioned on the left hand side when looking through the eyepiece. 

The firmware update changes that so that the dovetail clamp is always on the right when looking through the eyepiece see attached images. 

The image showing the Skywatcher AZ-GTi and Freedom-Find logos is the default setup, the one showing the battery box cover is the setup after installing the firmware that allows use in EQ mode. 

IMG_20190708_204850.jpg

IMG_20190708_204735.jpg

IMG_20190708_204855.jpg

1 hour ago, AdeKing said:

Hi, 

The scope is just turned on its side so you just rotate the diagonal to the normal position. 

This is possibly referring to the firmware update that let's you use the mount in EQ mode. 

Default out if the box configuration has the dovetail clamp positioned on the left hand side when looking through the eyepiece. 

The firmware update changes that so that the dovetail clamp is always on the right when looking through the eyepiece see attached images. 

The image showing the Skywatcher AZ-GTi and Freedom-Find logos is the default setup, the one showing the battery box cover is the setup after installing the firmware that allows use in EQ mode. 

IMG_20190708_204850.jpg

IMG_20190708_204735.jpg

IMG_20190708_204855.jpg

Oh, thanks, I was a bit confused. Thanks for clearing that up for me.I had visions of the telescope tube being mounted on the inside of the mount. I'm a bit of a  numpty, lol. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Oh, thanks, I was a bit confused. Thanks for clearing that up for me.I had visions of the telescope tube being mounted on the inside of the mount. I'm a bit of a  numpty, lol. 

Happy to help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AdeKing said:

The v3 or v4 handset works fine with mine but I mostly use the v3. 

However, you will need the SynScan AZ cable to connect it though, not the standard synscan cable. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/sky-watcher-az-goto-synscan-handset-cable.html

Many thanks once again, I think I'd prefer to use the handset so I think that's clinched the push button on the AZ GTI head, plus wedge, plus cable. I'll use my v3 handset and I already have a solid Tripod that will take the wedge thread. Be set hopefully for hols end of August. 

Another question. I've a vixen dual dovetail bar that I've used many years ago which was languishing in my cupboard. Could this be used on the Az Gti to take the TS 70mm plus a camera with small telephoto lens. I know the Gti mount capacity is 5kg. I think the complete weight of both with two attached dslrs would be around 5kg. 

IMG_20190714_012643.jpg