Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

At last! My First Decent DSLR Ha Image

Stub Mandrel

Strange things...on the preview screen of my 450D my subs looked OK, stacked in DSS (super pixel mode) to get any detail demanded the most murderous stretch and just created a sea of posterised noise. Saving as a FITS and using FITS liberator was even worse.

I opened one sub in Paintshop Pro and that single frame was better than what I was seeing?

In desperation. I opened my 'Autosave.tif' file in Astra Image... and there was the data in my subs, but with much less noise!

So I stretched it and denoised it, put it into photoshop to split off the red channel as mono, back into astra image and touch of sharpening. And lo! After three or four years of trying, at last a decent HA of the NAN and part of the Pelican. 1hr 35 minutes of 5-minute subs, 130P-DS, 450D, modded and cooled. HEQ5, guided.

Makes me wonder if I should go back to my previous autosave.tif files and see what I can find?

1773071009_NANHa.thumb.png.607efcdfcf18b9bc9e153f071ef1d826.png

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Good one nice a first, and I would try a reprocess of one of your older files as you never know what you might extract on a revisit.

I tried putting it together with three sessions from2018, I don't think it was as good. I might try again with just the best one from 2018.

It's a very odd target with very little black in Ha.