Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lagoon Nebula

alan potts

I have been slowly adding to this over the past few nights, even though it has been very hot, the sky has been pretty clear low down, seeing the Sting has been very easy between the trees. Can even see M 6 and 7 without binos.

This is about 90 minutes on 3 minute subs. Canon 40 D with 805mm APO

Why does it always come out very orange in the star fields?

1086340368_M83nightscopy.thumb.jpg.3989fc584c928b4c6f8a85ee5944bfb2.jpg

Hope you like it.

Alan

• Like 22

1 hour ago, alan potts said:

I have been slowly adding to this over the past few nights, even though it has been very hot, the sky has been pretty clear low down, seeing the Sting has been very easy between the trees. Can even see M 6 and 7 without binos.

This is about 90 minutes on 3 minute subs. Canon 40 D with 805mm APO

Why does it always come out very orange in the star fields?

1086340368_M83nightscopy.thumb.jpg.3989fc584c928b4c6f8a85ee5944bfb2.jpg

Hope you like it.

Alan

Its most likely coming out red because you have either pushed the red channel independently to get the red nebula to pop more. However there are a large number of bright red stars in the background anyhow.

3 hours ago, geordie85 said:

I'd love to shoot this one day. Can't get to it from my garden. 

The lowest I can get to is M16 whichj I've been collecting data on the past 2 nights. Hoping to add a 3rd to it tonight. 

I actually had a try to find that last night but as I was under attack from mosquitoes gave up, maybe tonight I can have another go, M16 and 17 are tempting me.

3 hours ago, Adam J said:

Its most likely coming out red because you have either pushed the red channel independently to get the red nebula to pop more. However there are a large number of bright red stars in the background anyhow.

It's not me doing it, I mask the background anyway when I colour the nebular which I have done, I reduced the orange in the stars a fair bit, you should see it out of the camera, really rich orange, I think it may be what you said about the stars colour but it also makes the background sky a mucky brown colour that I'm not keen on.

Alan

Nice shot Alan--the star field com,es out orange (or golden) becuase there are a lot of red stars in the region.  The golds/reds are correct for this area. (I thought teh same when I shot this region--until I looked a some very nice examples.  The good ones have orange/gold star fields (plus dark structures).

Keep adding to it.  i know what you mean about humid and hat.  Fortunately the nights haven't been too back.

Rodd

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2019 at 23:08, AbsolutelyN said:

Very impressive from a good old 40d. You're making me want to mod the 100d I've had sat around doing nothing for the last few years. 

I feel it is more about the decent sky I get here. Sadly missed the next two night when it by all account was good because I went to the Black Sea.

Alan

On 03/07/2019 at 20:53, Rodd said:

Nice shot Alan--the star field com,es out orange (or golden) becuase there are a lot of red stars in the region.  The golds/reds are correct for this area. (I thought teh same when I shot this region--until I looked a some very nice examples.  The good ones have orange/gold star fields (plus dark structures).

Keep adding to it.  i know what you mean about humid and hat.  Fortunately the nights haven't been too back.

Rodd

Maybe I should put the orange colour back, took a fair amount of care removing most of it using select and mask. Really useful tool in PS.

Alan.

1 hour ago, alan potts said:

Maybe I should put the orange colour back

I need to activate my spell checker!   Anyway--not only are there golden/red stars, but there is faint nebulosity that is red/Ha based and that adds to the subtle golden look.  There are a lot of dark structures in teh area as well--a very complicated backdrop for nebula.  I think what you have looks pretty good

Rodd

• Like 1