NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stunning noctilucent clouds on display here

12 hours ago, JOC said:

I don't know if these were nocti-lucent, but the sky last night was pretty spectacular around midnight.

20190616_000559.jpg

Lovely image mate, but pretty certain those are not them. Also, i think midnight would be way too late to see them in the UK. Could be wrong about that last fact of course...

• Like 1

It's funny, I get on far better capturing pictures of the night sky with my phone than I do with my 35mm camera - I think it's being able to set the automatic exposure of the phone so easily by selecting the object on the screen that I want to expose - the electronics on the 35mm would do similar, but it's far harder to set up with the shutter release button being held half down etc.

48 minutes ago, JOC said:

It's funny, I get on far better capturing pictures of the night sky with my phone than I do with my 35mm camera - I think it's being able to set the automatic exposure of the phone so easily by selecting the object on the screen that I want to expose - the electronics on the 35mm would do similar, but it's far harder to set up with the shutter release button being held half down etc.

Spot metering is your friend. That and taking a few exposure sequences manually, and checking the histograms. Once set, you can just use a cable release.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Spot metering is your friend. That and taking a few exposure sequences manually, and checking the histograms. Once set, you can just use a cable release.

I believe that's a similar process to the one I went through trying to capture Orion last year.  I think the thing with images like the one above is they tend to just be grabbed when you suddenly see the subject and it's so often during an occasion when you might not have the time to be 'creative' with the DSLR (I grabbed that one whilst saying goodbye to folks at a party!).  Automatic settings tend to make for adequate snaps from quick and dirty photograph opportunities, but I will be the first to agree that you often don't get the quality that could be achieved with a DSLR and a little time and knowledge to adequately play with it.  I've got the cable release, the tripod, I've even got a finder bracket for the top of the camera, but never seem driven to get off my rear end and go and take shots.  Then I see something stunning like that night sky and snap it with the only thing I have to hand - the dammed mobile phone's camera when I've got a perfectly decent DSLR inside the house!

3 minutes ago, JOC said:

I believe that's a similar process to the one I went through trying to capture Orion last year.  I think the thing with images like the one above is they tend to just be grabbed when you suddenly see the subject and it's so often during an occasion when you might not have the time to be 'creative' with the DSLR (I grabbed that one whilst saying goodbye to folks at a party!).  Automatic settings tend to make for adequate snaps from quick and dirty photograph opportunities, but I will be the first to agree that you often don't get the quality that could be achieved with a DSLR and a little time and knowledge to adequately play with it.  I've got the cable release, the tripod, I've even got a finder bracket for the top of the camera, but never seem driven to get off my rear end and go and take shots.  Then I see something stunning like that night sky and snap it with the only thing I have to hand - the dammed mobile phone's camera when I've got a perfectly decent DSLR inside the house!

I was actually quite surprised the first (phone) shot was half decent. However, especially at higher magnification, the DLSR is WAY better

• Like 1