SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Planets with Brian Cox

Gina

6 hours ago, Hallingskies said:

Conversation in the pub last night...

”You been watching that Planets thing on BBC?”

”Sort of.  I found it a bit frustrating...”

”Why’s that?  I thought it was brilliant.”

“Sure, lots of clever computer graphics and even some real data, along with some nice music and unnecessary sound effects (in space you can’t hear the rocks bang together...).  But waiting for some facts to come along was like waiting for a bus.  To actually learn anything, you had to wait until some exotic and random scenery popped up and was pointlessly walked over by a celebrity scientist like Brian Wotsisname...”

”Cox?”

”Well, I wouldn’t go that far but I know what you mean...” 

“Infotainment?”

”Exactly.  But sadly light on the info...”

About right, but I'm still enjoying it....

3 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Why do they always have that annoying earthquake-like rumbling sound every time they show the planets in space?  A planet in space is, er, quiet........

Yes but it would be boring and stand out like a sore thumb if suddenly everything was mute as the CGI is shown... I like the sound effects....

On 18/06/2019 at 21:55, JOC said:

I started to watch it (my recordings) last night, but it started to stray into the territory that I don't like hearing about.  I am quite happy enjoying what is up there now and not thinking too hard about it, but I get very uncomfortable thinking about it all destroying itself when the sun explodes in billions of years time.  Yeah, I know it won't affect me, but I just had to switch it off as I find the whole concept terrifying.

I guess everyone has a thing that ticks them off... mine was in the new Gross Tyson version of Cosmos.... from about episode 2 he was whinging and carryin on about climate change and the world burning and all that... I'm so sick of hearing about it, it lost me about 2 eps after that... That guy destroyed the memory of the masterpiece that Carl Sagan hosted by the same name... but definitely not the same program... I dug out my DVD with the original Cosmos and enjoyed that for the next few nights instead....

That was the moment that started the end of me being a NDGT fan... and eventually stopped listening to star talk radio and now don't even watch anything with him except for memes....

All I heard was him "pretend" jokingly flirt with the female guests and I started to think "I wonder when a accusation will be put against him.." I guess it is in fashion.. and soon enough the answer came,  hence why Cosmos series 2 is delayed... ah man....

Just for the record.. I don't believe that the accusation is legit... I believe that his "climate" became quite warm he tried to seduce the lady but doubt that he got heavy handed.  Now he's experiencing a runaway greenhouse effect. 

Edited by MarsG76
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got my hands on BBC Planets 2019 by Brian Cox series and I was lucky enough to source HD 1080p version with DTS audio... I liked it.... I didn't find the lens flares (as mentioned here) too much at all and thought that the CGI was very good and very crisp on a 75" screen... I enjoyed the series....

I know that I'm "Jonny come lately" but thanks you for the heads up.

• 3 weeks later...

The random backgrounds and “fact-lite” presentation style of Brian Cox’s latest epic reminds me of another BBC presentation...🤣🤣🤣

He even sounds like him.  Or is it just me...?

Edited by Hallingskies
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Maybe we should have done "Arts" subjects (I often wish!) 🤣
Seriously how could one engage the public re. your subject?
Dour twitterings re. religion & politics + br****? Or maybe: 😎

P.S. I suspect the *video* won't work on SGL, but many of
you will probably be able to access Twitter... as a *reader*? 🙂

Edited by Macavity