Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Planets with Brian Cox

Gina

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

I would have liked a diagram showing planetary migration through time rather than just hand-waving, besides you cannot discuss the migration of Jupiter / Saturn without also discussing the ejection from the solar system of "Planet X", a Neptune sized object that took away a lot of the angular momentum, and the migration of Uranus / Neptune which IIRC changed places.

Having said which, I liked the program too, and am looking forward to the next episode.

1 hour ago, Bukko said:

I think you might have hit on the plot line for the next series...

Gordon.

1 hour ago, Yearofthegoat said:

He seems to have improved his delivery this series.

It's never going to satisfy everyone - and doesn't (shouldn't) intend to. There are lots of other resources out there for more detail on the science. I watch this with my kids who are 8 and 9, and they don't have much trouble following it. Which is great.

Thinking about my previous post I have to agree with the others here, that what I was wanting would be better served by an OU co-production, perhaps fronted by Jim A-K, or Chris Lintott. Maybe even one of the hour long Sky at Night "specials"

• Like 3

I have a question about something he said last night. He claimed that our solar system is different in form to most found orbiting stars in our galaxy.  Our solar system has a group of smaller rocky planets close in to our star, and larger gas giants further out. Whereas most solar systems found so far have large planets orbiting close in to their star.  But I thought our techniques for exoplanet detection were more likely to discover large planets with short orbital periods.  Is thus still the case? If so the data so far is not statistically representative and our type of solar system may not be so rare. 

• Like 1

Watched the first one last night and it was quite informative. I do however question why so many shots of him standing astride a remote mountain peak being imaged from a drone, it gets a bit samey I feel and is distracting. They must have large budgets on the OU.

Edited by philj

On 06/06/2019 at 00:02, adyj1 said:

Lens flare. Lots of fake lens flare. Every time they show a simulated view of the planets and the sun, they add 'relistic' lens flare... Its getting right on my wick! 

Enjoying it otherwise. ☺ 

I hadn’t paid much attention to that but it will probably get on my nerves now! 😂. It can’t be as bad as the awful heavy vignette they used for most of ‘Wonders of the Universe’. That really was distracting,

I am enjoying it, but then will happily sit and watch most things astronomy related even if doesn’t have much new to offer.

• Like 1

I started to watch it (my recordings) last night, but it started to stray into the territory that I don't like hearing about.  I am quite happy enjoying what is up there now and not thinking too hard about it, but I get very uncomfortable thinking about it all destroying itself when the sun explodes in billions of years time.  Yeah, I know it won't affect me, but I just had to switch it off as I find the whole concept terrifying.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Maybe cutting 10secs of each of the interminable animations would do the trick?

What, you don't like 20s shots of BC strolling along a grey beach in Iceland with dramatic music in the background?????😂🙈

Conversation in the pub last night...

”You been watching that Planets thing on BBC?”

”Sort of.  I found it a bit frustrating...”

”Why’s that?  I thought it was brilliant.”

“Sure, lots of clever computer graphics and even some real data, along with some nice music and unnecessary sound effects (in space you can’t hear the rocks bang together...).  But waiting for some facts to come along was like waiting for a bus.  To actually learn anything, you had to wait until some exotic and random scenery popped up and was pointlessly walked over by a celebrity scientist like Brian Wotsisname...”

”Cox?”

”Well, I wouldn’t go that far but I know what you mean...” 

“Infotainment?”

”Exactly.  But sadly light on the info...”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1