Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Solargraph

lukebl

Following on from TakMan's fascinating thread about Solargraphs a few months ago (HERE), I had a go myself and here's the result. It's basically a pinhole camera made out of a bean tin and a very, very long exposure to show the sun's path through the seasons.

I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get much forgeground detail, but you can make out the rooflines as shown in the standard photo beneath. I've got another one up a tree somewhere, which I'll now go and try and retrieve!

47929251348_71ca0d305f_h.jpg

Here it is in situ.

47929246632_68654974f0_c.jpg

More information about the process here: SOLARGRAPHY

• Like 11

Just seen this thread - great results!

I really like the ones ‘damaged’ by water as the results are so dramatic and yours still show plenty of solar detail.

A play with colour balance can add all sorts of interesting rusty hues.

I think you could pull more foreground detail from your first result if you want to get into ‘Astro imaging territory’.. a play with some curves and layer masks would quickly sort.

From looking at the first image, it appears to have moved slightly (another interesting effect), the tell tale sign being the double exposure/shadow of the roof line (far left) and perhaps some fuzzyness to the solar trace (a bit of PS hi-pass would suppress that if you wished)..?

Actually a small dose of PS Hi-Pass sharpening can reveal pollen and other odds and sods that have landed on the paper....

I find that thick cable ties are better than tape as that is prone to stretching as it faces the elements, but it doesn’t really matter. Attached to a long stake and sited lower down will perhaps give you more foreground, an exaggerated solar curve and keep the thing secure - as long as you don’t trip over it or hit it with the mower!

Great results, it’s reminded me to get my old tins refurbished ready for the quickly approaching longest day...

Damian

Edited by TakMan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Luke, I am intrigued by this project and would love to give it a go. I have some B&W light sensitive paper on order and will start building the camera tomorrow. 

The rear of my house faces south so I might fix a couple to the drain pipe with cable ties and see how they go for 6 months.

One  question I have is regarding the post processing. I understand from reading various sites that the paper is removed in a darkened room then scanned on to a computer then run through its paces in Photoshop. Doesn’t the act of scanning the film damage the image?

Cheers,

John