Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A globular fest.....

geoflewis

Well maybe not quite a fest, but a 4 course meal....

I previously posted my recent M5 image, but I continued capturing more globular clusters during the clear, but Moonlit nights earlier this week, so here are 3 more...

M92 - the 'other' Hercules Cluster

M92_LRGB_IP65_PS(HLVG).thumb.jpg.fbbadf8cfb1aa8ccc77c8325409a60ac.jpg

M12

M12_LRGB_IP65_PSv2.thumb.jpg.726f8ce4b9b5cdafbc744947f3011f30.jpg

M28

M28_RBSynthG_IP65.thumb.jpg.1f99465b1a9fbed24a525f95ff153a7e.jpg

At first glance globular clusters can all seem somewhat similar, but seen side by side they take on their own character.

The seeing for M92 was better than for M12 and M28 and in addition M28 was a very challenging target as it only just about reaches 10 deg altitude from my location which is the limiting altitude for my scope seeing over the observatory wall. All the green data subs that I collected over 2 nights proved unusable, so I resorted to processing the little red and blue data by creating a synthetic green to produce a colour (RGB) image. Nevertheless seeing the cluster against the backdrop of the rich starfield in the direction of the center of our Milky Way galaxy makes for an interesting image and I'm please to add this one to my personal Messier collection.

Anyway, I hope that you enjoy seeing these 3 and thanks for looking.

Cheers, Geof

• Like 18

1 minute ago, alan potts said:

Nice set of clusters there, I didn't even know M28 was a GC, not sure what I thought it was. My favourite in this area is M107 with the 4 stars making a cross.

Thanks Alan, it's so low down for me that it almost doesn't exist at my location ☹️, along with several other summer Messiers. M107 is another cluster that I haven't imaged for a few years, so I may try that one again this year as it's at a much more accessible altitude. Cheers, Geof

I have been cutting my guiding teeth on M53, M3 and M13, the last few weeks, though cloud has had a say in my progress. It looks as if tonight will be OK, though saying that may well be the the kiss of death, very poor weather here of late.

Alan