Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Two Skywatcher mounts - one shared handset ??

Hello all.   Been having a complete mare with my AZ GTi mount of late as can no longer manage to connect to it with my I phone and or I pad.  I have a new phone of late but I do not think this is the problem. 

Think the signal is getting swamped by neighbours internet in the back garden. 

Synscan does not show any more, just a ESP XXXX XXX. Option that does not connect in any way. 

Possible workaround that I am happy to try  ----------

I have seen a cable that FLO can supply to run the AZ GTI  mount from a Synscan handset.  I have one that operates my NEQ6 Pro mount. 

If I bought said cable, could I use the the handset on either mount that I wish without any loss of options on either mount. 

In a nutshell.  Can I switch the handset  as required to control either mount without compromising either of them in anyway. 

Apologies if this question has been posed and answered previously. 

Thank you as always   John 

PS -  I have made an enquiry to FLO along these same lines.  Awaiting a response. 

I have used the same synscan handset with an HEQ5 and NEQ6, in fact the HEQ5 I still have and the Synscan belonged to the NEQ6 which I have sold.  I am not familiar with the AZ GTi mount but a Skywatcher dealer should be able to confirm, and already some replies are coming back here as affirmative. 

However just curious why you are wanting to control the m9unt through your phone and yet using a handset as well?  Sorry just can't quite work out the situation.  

CArole 

I am having great difficulty in connecting to the mount. 

Could  be my phone upgrade that’s an issue but my I pad not work as well, of late.

Happy to buy the handset cable if there is no issue for the mounts if swopping the handset between mounts as required. 

John 

Hello all. 

Have got an update from Martin at FLO. Very prompt as always - reply as follows 

Yes, if you have a V4 or a V5 handset it will work ok. If you have a V3 handset it needs to be reasonably up to date with the firmware and it will also then work ok with EQ and AZ mounts

My handset is old, prob a V3 do this not helping me but the info maybe if use to someone. 

I may have wait for a SW app update sometime in the next millennium. Very frustrating as it’s a good mount and worked for me right out of the box. 

John 

Update.  I’ve took the mount up to my parents house with isn’t surrounded by multiple WIFI accounts. 

Tried to connect - bingo. Works just as expected. So it is not my phone that’s the issue. 

Read on another thread that switching to WiFi channel number in the mounts setting could cure the problem?? 

Have switched from channel 6 to 13. 

Watch this space as once home I’ll try again 

John  

On 16/05/2019 at 17:28, Telescope40 said:

In a nutshell.  Can I switch the handset  as required to control either mount without compromising either of them in anyway

Can I ask for clarification of the question @Telescope40 - do you mean 1) switch handset mid-session, while both mounts are running, or do you mean 2) switch handsets to the second  mount once you have finished your session with the first mount?

Ady 

Hello Ady. 

No 2. 

I can decide which mount I am using for an observing session and use the mount as I wish. 

The following session I use my other mount and use the handset with the “other” mount with no issues. 

In other words - I use the handset with either mount and can swop between the two. I only use 1 mount each session. 

John 

43 minutes ago, Helen said:

You can update the software on the synscan handset 😉  I'm on my phone so tricky to link, but google it and you should find it 😁

Helen

Thank you Helen.  The flash update of the handset will have to be looked into. 

Fraid im a bit old school and not over savvy with this download / update option.😥😥

Are you able to swop the handset between both mounts with no issues ???? 

FYI  -  I only use one mount at a time 

thank you. John 

6 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Update.  I’ve took the mount up to my parents house with isn’t surrounded by multiple WIFI accounts. 

Tried to connect - bingo. Works just as expected. So it is not my phone that’s the issue. 

Read on another thread that switching to WiFi channel number 13 in the mounts settings could cure the problem?? 

Have switched from channel 6 to 13. 

Watch this space as once home I’ll try again 

John  

Well I’m home and a test of the mount has been run using WiFi channel no 13. 

All seems well. I can connect to the mount just as before using my phone.  Synscan shows up immediately the mount is switched on.  

As it’s totally cloudy here I cannot do a full alignment but have run a “mock” one. 

Mount looks like it’s happy - alignment successful message appears. I’m back in business. 

Full test on the next clear nite. 

Hope this may help other users. 

Regards.  John 

Archived