M87 and jet

tooth_dr

Nice one Adam.   I only twigged last week that this is the galaxy that the  'famous black-hole' picture came from.

Did you do a lot of processing to extract the jet ??

2 minutes ago, Craney said:

Nice one Adam.   I only twigged last week that this is the galaxy that the  'famous black-hole' picture came from.

Did you do a lot of processing to extract the jet ??

Thanks Sean. I literally spent about 10 minutes on this.  I combined the channels and adjusted levels and curves, and that was it.  The jet was visible easily in 80s subs.

It is a very nice capture.

I don't know what scope tooth_dr used, but the  jet can be captured with quite a modest scope. I've posted this image before.  It was captured with my ED80. I had set out to image the Markarian chain.  It was only later on reading up about it that I realised that M87 has a jet.  So I reprocessed that part of the image and found it is just about visible. 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

It is a very nice capture.

I don't know what scope tooth_dr used, but the  jet can be captured with quite a modest scope. I've posted this image before.  It was captured with my ED80. I had set out to image the Markarian chain.  It was only later on reading up about it that I realised that M87 has a jet.  So I reprocessed that part of the image and found it is just about visible. 

image.jpeg

Nice capture yourself too!  I have an ED80, and recently did Markarians chain.  I didnt realise M87 was on the periphery of the FOV.

I used an equally modest scope here - an old blue tube 10" Skywatcher newtonian.

4 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Nice capture yourself too!  I have an ED80, and recently did Markarians chain.  I didnt realise M87 was on the periphery of the FOV.

I used an equally modest scope here - an old blue tube 10" Skywatcher newtonian.

OK.  Yes, If I were to try and image M87 to bring out the jet I'd use my 8" SW Newtonian. I think too I might try a range of shorter exposure times than I usually do with my DSLR to avoid saturating the jet region with light from the M87 galaxy itself. It would make an interesting imaging exercise. 

Archived