Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

National geographic 76/700 telescope

Hi @Interstellar_Explorer and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Yes you will see Saturn's rings and Titan, (Saturn's largest moon), and Jupiter and the four Galilean moons, (Io, Europa, Ganymede & Callisto)... but to not much other detail I'm afraid apart from Jupiter's north & south equatorial belts. The mount and tripod are very basic and flimsy.

To be honest, I would advise going for this one --->https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html... or this one---> https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

Just place on a level[ish] surface... and/or water butt riser/stand, (or sturdy garden table for the Heritage 130), if not high enough and away you go. No messing with polar alignment, setting circles, etc.

Don’t go for the National Geographic. It’s not a very good quality instrument.  I’d also recommend getting the Sky-Watcher Skyliner 150P. The views are a lot better and it’s much higher quality. ?

If you’re on a very tight budget, buy a good pair of 10x50 binoculars instead. You will enjoy them a lot more than you would enjoy a cheap telescope with bad optics and terrible mount. 

It's marginally better, at least, than the Zennox variant that you had inquired about previously, particularly in so far as the tripod.  Both will have spherical primary-mirrors, and should perform well at that longer focal-length.

Welcome from Land Down Under

If you intend to get a scope from National Geographic, then I would go for either 8" or 10" SW Dob if not intending to do AP

Easy to set-up, store and transport

I am out a couple of times per month with mine, doing presentation in primary schools, scout/guide groups with my club

You will probably need to update eyepieces some time down the track

I find 17mm eyepiece great tool, with doing presentation

John

Skywatcher 10 inch Dobson.jpg

On 01/04/2019 at 02:44, cletrac1922 said:

Welcome from Land Down Under

If you intend to get a scope from National Geographic, then I would go for either 8" or 10" SW Dob if not intending to do AP

Easy to set-up, store and transport

I am out a couple of times per month with mine, doing presentation in primary schools, scout/guide groups with my club

You will probably need to update eyepieces some time down the track

I find 17mm eyepiece great tool, with doing presentation

John

Skywatcher 10 inch Dobson.jpg

OK thank you!

5 hours ago, Interstellar_Explorer said:

OK thank you!!

National Geographic is known as Australian Geographic down under they sell Skywatcher and Celstron scopes

Cannot go wrong with either of them

Recently had a new shopping centre open near me, and I ran a training night for the new store Australian Geographic staff

John

On 04/04/2019 at 06:20, cletrac1922 said:

National Geographic is known as Australian Geographic down under they sell Skywatcher and Celstron scopes

Cannot go wrong with either of them

Recently had a new shopping centre open near me, and I ran a training night for the new store Australian Geographic staff

John

Ok thank you!

Archived