NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 4565 Needle Galaxy

davhei

Last evening had me out looking at globulars and I got the chance to look through a large dob at the Needle Galaxy. Amazing sight with the dust lane clearly visible. Really stunning.

Turned my own 10” dob on the galaxy and took out the pad and pencils. Not as bright and detailed of course but the shape was clear and a hint of dust lane could still be seen.

C800EB98-E7DD-445A-8AE4-D9AAD63C996A.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

I like that. I think it shows really well how faint these galaxies are compared to the stars around them.

Thanks. I wondered if I overdid the faintness but like you said I think it gives a decent impression of how dim they seem at the EP.

Brilliant to see what one can actually expect to see when viewing these galaxies. Well done.

I really don't think it's an easy challenge to draw these really faint objects without over doing them. Great subtlety.

I haven't seen this one yet. I shall have to try when I get to a dark site. Thanks.

Archived