Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telrad

Hi all,

I'm doing loads of research before jumping in and making my first purchase.

Thinking of getting an 8" Skywatcher Dob.

I've been looking at loads of items on the forums about Telrad viewers.

As a beginner is it worthwhile getting one of these?

Do they replace a finderscope or are they to be used as well as?

Getting a bit confused.

Don't want to shell out any extra on something i won't use/don't know how to use.

Cheers

Matt

The Telrad can replace a finder scope Matt. They each have there pros and cons but generally a telrad is easier and more intuitive to use.

You are dependent on batteries and I have a bad habit of forgetting to keep switching it off. They are also very prone to dew, I have one with a dew shield which helps a bit. You can also get dew heaters but a blast with a hair dryer or wipe with an abosrbant cloth will sort things out ok.

A red dot finder is cheaper and works nearly as well but the telrad reticle allows extra precision. Planetarium software will often create a telrad reticle to help you assess the distance between target and visible stars.

Finder scopes are very good when the target is just below naked eye visibility when it can be spotted in the finder. Also you can use a finder scope to star hop across a relatively blank area of sky to a more distant target e.g M81/82.

I'm getting better with a finder scope but if I had the choice between one or the other I would go for a Telrad.

I use a Skywatcher 8" dobsonian (very nice scope :hello2: ) and I've got both an optical finder (8x50 right angle) and a red dot type as well. I really need to install another finder shoe on the scope so that I can have both finders on the scope at the same time as they kind of complement each other - red dot to find the general area of the sky and the 8x50 to pinpoint the exact spot.

Telrads are good but pretty bulky - one of those and the optical finder at the top end of the tube can affect the balance of the scope. As Gaz says you can get by with just a red dot type (or red bulls eye in the case of the Telrad) on it's own.

John

Telrads are brill as they are like the target on a soitfire LOL.

Got mine from america on a link in here somewhere for £1999, if it is under £20 quid you do not have to pay import tax.

It is big and the mount is stuck to the scope with double sided sticky tape.

I always leave mine on and when i go to use it the gatteries are flat.

Ease of use you look through a front glass that dewes up like nobody's business and i can slide mine out and wipe it with a cloth or you can use a 12/240v hair dryer depending how brave you are on a cold damp night LOL.

Davey.

:hello2::p:D

Got mine ...for £1999

Davey.

Boy, you were done! I've got a red dot finder you could have had for only £1000!

(Just kidding!)

I use both a red dot and an optical finder. The red dot gets me close and the optical really hones me in. I mounted the red dot thru the tube rings to make it easier.

Hi Matt,

You'll never regret getting a Telrad!

I'll demo mine to you next time we get out to Harperrig ok?

I couldn't believe how easy it was to find faint fuzzies when I started using it.

There's plenty downloadable finder charts for Telrad users too.

Cheers

Paul

I have telrads on my NexStar 8 GPS and my C11. I think I have use dthe optical finder on the NS8 once since I`ve had it (18 months+), but use the telrad every time. I`d put a telrad on the MakNewt if it was mine (but its just on loan from FLO).

I can only echo what others have said about the Telrad. Since fitting one on my Dob I don't think I've used the finder scope at all. I have also made a dew shield similar to karlo's and it works a treat.

These are a couple of the charts I use

http://www.rasc.ca/im/observing/finestngc.pdf

http://www.custerobservatory.org/Messiecharts/Messier_Telrad_Charts.pdf

along with Sky & Telescopes Pocket sky Atlas.

FF

Would a Telrad be ok to use on a Skywatcher 130PM? I find the red dot finder on the 130PM a real pain to use, I'm tempted to try a Telrad which would work out at £27.65 delivered from Telescope House if ordered before Monday.

Also does anyone know if it comes with the base plate supplied?

Thanks

Archived