Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Messier 81 & 82 narrow field

mikeDnight

After fitting a SW dual axis drive to my GP mount a few days ago, last night's clear sky gave me a chance to sketch without having to manually control the mount. This gave me a new found freedom of being able to change eyepieces as and when the mood took me, while the object under scrutiny remained in the centre of the field. It also gave me a chance to concentrate more fully on the structure of the two galaxies M81 & M82 than I've been able to do in the past. So, using Celestron Ultima's, I focused on these two galaxies individually.  Rather than being an amorphous blob, M81 revealed a S shaped spiral structure with a bright nucleus slightly off centre. This was the first time I've noticed any real form to this galaxy.   And although I've seen mottling and the dark division in M82 many times in the past, last night was the first time I'd noticed a bright linear edge toward the lower edge of the sketch below. Also, it became very evident using averted vision that this edge on galaxy extended well beyond the near by star just above the galaxy (right in the sketch), and that the slender nebulosity thinned out untill disappearing towards the right of the sketch. The transparency wasnt good but the results were rewarding!

2019-03-26 08.26.06.jpg

2019-03-26 08.26.50.jpg

Great sketches again!

Is there a source where to find a way to evaluate seeing/transparancy? I have been thinking of using NELM but it depends strongly on where you look (and all I found was UMI, but you might be looking South, so what's the point of evaluating North? :) )

I might buy a SQM meter but have found them to be inconsequent.

3 hours ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

Great sketches again!

Is there a source where to find a way to evaluate seeing/transparancy? I have been thinking of using NELM but it depends strongly on where you look (and all I found was UMI, but you might be looking South, so what's the point of evaluating North? :) )

I might buy a SQM meter but have found them to be inconsequent.

For transparency i merely estimate the limiting visual magnitude at the zenith, so not really an official source. On the night the above observations were made the zenith looked wonderfully transparent at first glance, but looking away from the zenith it was evident there was a haze covering everything. M81  & M82 were close to the zenith at the time the sketches were made, but just a few degrees further down M51 was undetectable,  which shows how bad the conditions were on the night. 

Great sketches. That’s a smashing observation of M81. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it as anything other than a featureless blob, even under decent skies and patient study. Insipiring stuff though - one to go back to (again!). ?

Not to dismiss the M82 observation either. It doesn’t look much different to your sketch through my 10"... ?

Archived