Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter GRS and 2 moons 22-Mar-2019

SalehRam

Hi all,

So having spent 2 years with my little scope I never managed to time my sessions to when the GRS is visible on Jupiter. Until now!

I thought to take a look at a transit calculator website and it showed me a transition will happen after 1.5 hours from when I was checking, and it was already a weekend and I was awake!

Being grown a little lazy recently, I was reluctant to get the stuff prepared and I thought I'll just do it 30 mins before the transit. That did not go well for me.

I was supposed to be sitting looking at the camera's stream by 2:30am, however I only got to start capturing at 3:00am... I did capture this from my house's window and without proper alignment as well so I was fixing manually.

Here's the equipment thing:

• Telescope: Celestron Omni XLT102 refractor
  • Camera: ZWO ASI224MC
  • Filters and others: 3x and 2x barlows (barlows used separately and unstacked), Baader UV/IR & Fringe-killer fitlers (filters were stacked)
  • Captured multiple 60 sec videos with gain between 50 and 90, exposure between 200 and 250ms for the multiple videos
  • Software: captured using SharpCap3.1, processing through PIPP, Autostakkert!3, Registax6 and GIMP

I got something satisfying really for the conditions I took this in, there was a lot of atmospheric distortion as well so it was not the best image quality I was getting.

I ended up with 3 images, for my joy there was some enough gap in time between them to see some visible changes on the GRS location on Jupiter's surface!

Apologies for the long intro :D?

03_27.png.829ab0bc4d11bdcf5a4621ebc9f093ce.png

03_32.png.245c053e48c00104e7065eea7192ca44.png

03_39.png.3c4e43318b836cd268850454720e7321.png

Thanks all for the feedback :)

2 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

I like your images.

So far I've only managed to glimpse the GRS, but not image it with my 8" dob.

Yea it's been a while for me as well trying to manage to see it either in visual or imaging.. So far I got only managed to see it through the camera, since I started that session late and I did not want to lose myself admiring Jupiter and its moons through the EP :lol: (I always lose myself when I see Jupiter through the EP :lol: )

• 2 weeks later...

Archived