Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Altair Self Centering Smartphone Telescope Adaptor

Altair Self Centering Smartphone Telescope Adaptor

Arrived today and seems robust enough despite its mainly plastic construction. 

The phone clamps simply slide into position and then are tightened with a single knob on the back. Quite easy to visually centre the camera lens in the opening which will get you very close to being centred and then just needs a minor adjustment later to get it perfectly centered.

I put the two included self adhesive foam strips on the front to stop the phone sliding around when clamped. Was able to leave the protective silicone case on my phone.

The self centering eyepiece holder works very well just so long as the eyepiece is straight sided at the top. Grips the eyepiece securely. 

I did a quick test using a chimney pot on the horizon first with the 15mm plossl that I had been using on the old cheapie smartphone adapter. Then tried a TS zoom (same as the Lunt zoom) which worked OK.

Hopefully will get the chance to try it out properly and do a proper review soon ....Clouds permitting. ?️

B0A91B26-5C78-4A87-BE4B-637D888CE1C5.jpeg

CB761A69-BB03-469C-9801-5E526993ABDB.jpeg

11DF10E1-8AE4-41E7-94D1-AA3728779A1B.jpeg

7B5A36AE-A15C-473D-93FF-7F178982E839.jpeg

B5DB2210-8F0A-4CFB-BB8C-B8C93A629794.jpeg

It’s self centering so no need for fine centering adjustment. Also easy to vary the eyepiece distance although in most cases you want the eyepiece close to the camera lens anyway.

No it doesn’t tilt but not needed as everything is held so securely.

What I’m liking about this adapter already is the ease and speed of setup and with the self centering eyepice holder eyepieces can be changed without having to re setup. Only takes seconds to fit the phone as well.. ?

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

It’s self centering so no need for fine centering adjustment. Also easy to vary the eyepiece distance although in most cases you want the eyepiece close to the camera lens anyway.

Interesting to see how it works if your camera phone isn't on the central axis. 

1 hour ago, Gfamily said:

Interesting to see how it works if your camera phone isn't on the central axis. 

That’s the point. It’s so easy to get the camera lens perfectly centred with this adapter. The way the phone clamps work are what make it so easy. 

The Celestron NexYZ is indded a good adapter for the price but I was interested in seeing if the Altair was worth the extra money. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

No it doesn’t tilt but not needed as everything is held so securely.

What I’m liking about this adapter already is the ease and speed of setup and with the self centering eyepice holder eyepieces can be changed without having to re setup. Only takes seconds to fit the phone as well.. ?

I agree with that John, very simple to use and nice and rigid.

Archived