Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lightweight Goto Mount sought

neilmack

I should like a lightweight goto mount to carry a 60mm shortish refractor (Takahashi FS60Q). The object is to have a compact, lightweight instrument that's very portable, and, importantly, quick to set up. It's for visual use only.

The short list -

Celestron Nextstar SLT

iOptron Cube Pro

iOptron SmartEQ Pro+

Skywatcher Allview Multifunction

These are all in the same price range.  The first two look the most interesting, but I haven't had the chance to examine any of them (I'm out in the wilds!) If I have read the reviews and specs correctly the supplied tripods are equally wobbly - but are any of the mount heads good enough?

Thanks

NEIL

I have used the nexstar slt mount, with the 102. I used it for my early imaging attempts, with a DSLR on the back. Very easy to setup, and is capable of tracking on a single-object align (I used to take extra time to ensure the tripod was absolutely level), although obviously better with a second object added. I was able to get 15s subs before trailing started to be a problem, so well within "visual use only" territory, particularly with a smaller scope.

The tripod is NOT the best, but there are things you can do to stabilise it. My favourite was a "heath robinson" weight hanging from the bottom of the tray.

+1 for the AZ-GTi. It's probably the most portable GoTo mount available today. It has integrated Wi-Fi, so you can use your phone to control it, or plug in a SynScan remote. It's very accurate and easy to setup!

Since it's small and light, you can use a standard photo tripod with it. It has a standard 3/8" threaded mount.

Here is a picture with a 60mm f/6 refractor (in EQ mode), to give you an idea of its size:

post-303014-0-69658600-1552669743.jpg

Edited by Space Oddities
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...