Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polemaster vs Sharpcap Accuracy?

Z3roCool

Hi all, I have been using Sharpcap and my guide scope and camera to PA with fairly good results (I think). I have been looking at the Polemaster and wonder if anyone has got any experience of both? Is PM that much better to warrant the price tag? I currently get about 5min subs before I see my stars drifting out, may just be that I do not have my guiding down yet fully. Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom.

I have used both systems.

The results from both methods are remarkably similar - Polemaster seems to be slightly better when the seeing is good and Sharpcap slightly better when the seeing is poor but very little in it. 

I use a SW ED72 with ZWO290 for guiding.

Neither is as good as drift alignment.

With either system you should get an accurate enough polar alignment to allow your guiding to give you virtually unlimited subs.

Maybe your guiding isnt working at 100% ????

1 minute ago, Skipper Billy said:

Maybe your guiding isnt working at 100% ????

Interesting - thanks for the info.

My guiding is not working at 100% for sure.

Only just started using it and get an RMS error over 1. Have not yet run the Guide Assistant so will do that next and see if I can get the error down to 0.5ish.

Will have to look at Drift Alignment.

Cheers,

Tom.

Sharpcap is cheap and brilliant when it works. However, I found it would fail to solve frequently which led to PA taking a long time. Clear sky is precious and the polemaster has never failed me so it is worth the money IMO.

Accuracy of both was comparable for me, estimated at 1-3' in PhD guiding assistant so easily accurate enough. 

I would only recommend polemaster if you get problems with sharpcap; if it works keep using it!

On 21/03/2019 at 09:26, Z3roCool said:

Hi all, I have been using Sharpcap and my guide scope and camera to PA with fairly good results (I think). I have been looking at the Polemaster and wonder if anyone has got any experience of both? Is PM that much better to warrant the price tag? I currently get about 5min subs before I see my stars drifting out, may just be that I do not have my guiding down yet fully. Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom.

In a nutshell - the answer is no., IMHO! 

Sharpcap does as good if not a better job in the same conditions.  Polemaster does work of course but people who have forked out for it will always justify their purchase.  Technology moves on and software wins there is no secret source in Polemaster.

Archived