SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New dome ordered!

DeanWatson

Not wishing to brag, just quite excited - Ordered my dome today (one of the sky shed pods in dark green)! Managed to convince madam that a lagre green platstic shed is just the thing the garden is missing (wonderful stuff chloroform... - Should you have any major expenses you want to slip through I heartily recomend it! :hello2: )

So looking forward to being permanently set up and ready to switch on (or more likely off...) at a moments notice. No more set up, no more break down, just 2 star alignment, calibrate autoguiding and away.

I just have to work out the base now, thinking of a concrete pad although theres a decking option I've discovered that will fit it exactly that I can mount on precast concrete pads so might go that way (with a pier stuck through it into the ground)

Hi Dean,

Tis great to have a dome - even better if your have got the kit permenantly setup... I havent plucked up the courage to do this yet but do leave it in there during the day on weekends ...

Its the use on marginal nights that make the difference...although laetly tehy havent been marginal - just totaly bloomin useless...

Billy...

Hi guys, thanks for the kind comments - yes, you're right JCM, i'm mounting off centre (although they now do a means to move the whole dome out of theway - no idea why). Rather than a permanent pier I thought i'd go with one of those skywatcher pier mounts (for my HEQ5 Skyscan) with the three tripod 'feet/legs' then I can bolt it to the floor but unbolt and move it if I need to do other things, get a giant dob, whatever - Not as solid as a grounded pier I agree but for imaging I will probably just leave everything to it thus no vibration from me. Its the convenience that I will love - That and my own little den!

Chortling away about all the lovely things I can have out there. Red/white lighting on a switch, permanent computing, all my charts stuck up - maybe even a little tv/stereo to keep be entertained while it clouds!

It comes with a secure lock etc so not anticipating any security probs, no more so than the garden shed I store in.

You'll love the dome, Dean - although I don't have the 'pod' (I have a 'conventional' dome) I can testify to the numerous advantages of having a permanent set-up with the atrocious UK weather. Before you finalise the plans for the base, factor in an alarm system to your home for peace of mind and consider network access too.

You might find this article on my website of some interest, especially the section on the concrete base.

I saw the Sky Pod at Astrofest in February. It certainly is larger than it looks. Quite spacious, but a couple of Cabinets probably required for computers and extras, although the pod alone is a good start. Just a bit out of my price range after spending on scopes, cameras, filters, software, PSU's, etc. etc. etc. Having said that, the ROR and warm room have not exactly been cheap.

Still got extras to buy too.

There is no doubt the Pod will enhance your astronomy whether imaging, observing, or both. I wish you years of bliss. :hello2:

Ron.

Hiya Dean, I have Oesteo Arthrites in both knees, hence I Wobble when I walk. I use a pier which is sunk into a three foot deep hole then filled with concrete. The Decking has a one inch clearance around the pier, So ther is no contact between the decking and pier. TJ, The timber frame and decking is pressurised pre treaded and then the frame was creosoted with the decking recieving the best decking treatment I could find. Yes, timber expands, contracts and twists but the POD is bolted to the decking with 12 lag bolts (it aint gona move) as for slippy, our pod has a nice carpet inside (to stop filters and the like from falling between the decking) plus it feels quite cosy. Here is a couple of pics.

10344_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

10345_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Oh thats super Bob (Gosh - I feel like I was tactless without knowing it - sorry, I know these things can be sensitive, not that you were being! - Didn't even occur to me)

I think given my pier arrangements etc I might go with the concrete base but thank you regardless

There's pro's and cons for both Bob. Concrete is almost permanent if you do it properly, but therefore difficult to remove should you need to. Decking is just the opposite and should be considered temporary I guess, albeit long lived, and can be installed over drains or other items.

Tanalised timber should be sound for 10 -15 years, and especially when mostly dry like yours, but the posts can present a problem, again, depends on how they are set and the moisture level in the soil etc. There is new decking made from recycled plastic making its way onto the market, but for now even that can need a timber subframe. Yours looks like it is mounted on blocks Bob, which is much better than posts in the ground.

Another problem with decking, (as I found out under ours, I constructed a large octagonal deck and pergola in my garden about 7 years ago, no probs so far) is that Rattus Norvegicus loves to build a home under it, but they will do that under slabs or concrete too :p

I was under the impression that Dean is using a tripod mount? or am I confused again? hence the moving and twisting problem etc.

I have to say, I have a bot of a vested interest in bases etc, as I am a supplier of paving and paving materials, one kit of which we do is a Compass points feature in natural stone, with a brass inlay for the North point :hello2:

(Wouldnt be any good for a tripod mount, but a pier would be great! Not for inside though, you'd wanna show it off!)

Bob, your setup looks incredible, really great. Does the pod keep the wind off ok? I wondered on really windy nights if it would deflect the wind back on itself? I was very impressed with the pod outside your camp at kelling, and may go for one myself, I have to do SOMETHING to keep the stuff nice and dry. My cover-all blew off the other week and filled my SCT with rain, soaked my Canon 350D and Meade DSI Pro, also the mount and WO72 :D All works ok still though thank goodness.

Any foibles with the pod that you could mention?

Cheers

TJ

There's pro's and cons for both Bob. Concrete is almost permanent if you do it properly, but therefore difficult to remove should you need to. Decking is just the opposite and should be considered temporary I guess, albeit long lived, and can be installed over drains or other items.

Tanalised timber should be sound for 10 -15 years, and especially when mostly dry like yours, but the posts can present a problem, again, depends on how they are set and the moisture level in the soil etc. There is new decking made from recycled plastic making its way onto the market, but for now even that can need a timber subframe. Yours looks like it is mounted on blocks Bob, which is much better than posts in the ground.

Another problem with decking, (as I found out under ours, I constructed a large octagonal deck and pergola in my garden about 7 years ago, no probs so far) is that Rattus Norvegicus loves to build a home under it, but they will do that under slabs or concrete too :p

I was under the impression that Dean is using a tripod mount? or am I confused again? hence the moving and twisting problem etc.

I have to say, I have a bot of a vested interest in bases etc, as I am a supplier of paving and paving materials, one kit of which we do is a Compass points feature in natural stone, with a brass inlay for the North point :hello2:

(Wouldnt be any good for a tripod mount, but a pier would be great! Not for inside though, you'd wanna show it off!)

Bob, your setup looks incredible, really great. Does the pod keep the wind off ok? I wondered on really windy nights if it would deflect the wind back on itself? I was very impressed with the pod outside your camp at kelling, and may go for one myself, I have to do SOMETHING to keep the stuff nice and dry. My cover-all blew off the other week and filled my SCT with rain, soaked my Canon 350D and Meade DSI Pro, also the mount and WO72 :D All works ok still though thank goodness.

Any foibles with the pod that you could mention?

Cheers

TJ

So sorry to hear about the rain entering your gear TJ, what a bummer.

Wanting to isolate the pier from the decking and POD to reduce vibrations, I did as you suspected, mount the decking on 4 huge concrete blocks at each corner, then anchored the decking around the edges with steel post's.

I noted when the pier was concreated in, I was hammeing some thing into the soil close to the pier and heard the steel pier ringing. So I filled the pier up with concrete, Sorted. My point is, a pier or tripod mounted in or stood on concrete will pick up walking, moving the Dome round or any other spurious vibrations which would upset the imaging process. Plus, as i said earlier, wood is warmer under foot. I have been out on a couple of cold windy nights, and I have to say thats where the dome comes into its own. Turn the dome against the wind and it shelters you and the scopes, the down side is, your stuck with that bit of sky, 180deg of it, so not to bad.

The POd at Kelling is exactly the same as mine and the only issue,s ive had are sealing the joints, silicone does not work so will be trying something new next week, also the pivot points leak, will be trying out somthing next week also. Apart from that, its GREAT

My point is, a pier or tripod mounted in or stood on concrete will pick up walking, moving the Dome round or any other spurious vibrations which would upset the imaging process.

This is true but if you see my article on my own concrete base, I have an isolated pier block and floor so I have the the best of both worlds especially as my standing area is fully carpeted - trust me, it is cosy in there! The isolation from transmitted vibration afforded by my design works perfectly well.

I followed Steve's advice and perhaps went a bit overboard due to the fact that the ground my Obs is on is built up about 10 foot above road level and no issues with vibration transmitted from the walkway to the pier/scope...

Do it right ... do it once..... pity i didnt apply the same mantra to the dome aperture which is due for re-design in the spring I think...

Billy...

Archived