Heavy duty Parallelogram mount for Binoscope.

Peter Drew

Just completed, my proof of concept heavy duty parallelogram mount for my 150mm F5 binoscope which weighs 42lbs. The main construction is of 50mm square x 3mm wall aluminium tubing. Initial trials on a pier didn't prove steady enough so now it's mounted on a substantial tripod. Seems to work well so the next upgrade will be to fit bearings to the pivot points instead of the plain drilled through holes.   ?

003.JPG

008.JPG

You have employed some useful cross sections. :thumbsup:

What is the penalty for suggesting "subtle improvements" to His Master's Works?
Is such "blasphemy" included under forum rules? :huh2:

I can't quite see how your altitude bearing works from these images.
Incorporating a 'sandwich' disk bearing is often useful for stiffening such heavily cantilevered junctions, requiring rotation.

My immediate worry, though, is over that poor little upright post in the middle.
It is carrying all of the weight, all of the moments and all of the torque.
Beefing it up considerably would help to separate your parallelograms even further.
Thereby adding increased lateral beam stiffness [in azimuth] to the entire structure.

I think I'd be looking at a length of hefty, steel, box section pipe for that upright.
Preferably carried well down into the tripod or mounted or a much heavier "inverted" plate and pin pier.

This would help to separate the azimuth bearings as much as possible.
Though all of this would also add considerable weight. Probably making it much less portable.
I've had good luck with solid rubber "puncture free" sack truck and wheelbarrow wheels for mobility.
I also have several weighty pier options I could let you have, but the airmail might be a bit silly. :blush:

11 minutes ago, Rusted said:

What is the penalty for suggesting "subtle improvements" to His Master's Works?
Is such "blasphemy" included under forum rules? :huh2:

Instant ban ????

Yes, more seriously it does look an excellent bit of kit, certainly will be once you add the bearings.

Have you reviewed the binos anywhere? They must be pretty cracking, all the better for a decent mount I bet.

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes, more seriously it does look an excellent bit of kit, certainly will be once you add the bearings.

Have you reviewed the binos anywhere? They must be pretty cracking, all the better for a decent mount I bet.

A link to Peter's prism arrangements would be nice, if it has already been discussed.  :thumbsup:

@Rusted.  No problem at all, a lifetime of accepting good suggestions or pinching the good ideas of others is the basis for whatever I have achieved. My "defence" for any shortcomings on this project is mentioned in the first post sentence "proof of concept".  I've never made a "P" mount before and had to use whatever material I had to hand, a situation you will be familiar with. The azimuth shaft passes through two well separated bearings and there is a disc of PTFE between the rotational faces. The azimuth "hub" is a repurposed unit and contains a worm and wormwheel drive that could be reused. Not had a chance to try either the mount or the binoscope properly yet.  ? 

Fantastic idea...:thumbsup:
I like bino's very much. As a matter of fact I (almost)always make binos myself.
Busy building two(completely different)bino's at the moment.
Most people are not aware at all what advantage it has, observing with two eyes(two scopes). And I'm not speaking of binoviewers here.

Excellent work, Peter! Drooling at the 6 inch bins!

These parallellogram mounts are excellent and well worth making at home. This setup I made last year can take 25x100 binoculars and does not break a sweat (the model pictured are the 15x70s). Fabulous to take to a dark site and observe...makes you almost want to sell the light buckets....almost...  :D

1591134509_parallelogrammonut2018.thumb.jpg.fe12e4413ecdc47c87d3a832e0f07598.jpg

Archived